What's new

Cable Management (1 Viewer)

Gau

Stunt Coordinator
does anyone know where to get a cable management system, like one of those ribbed 1"-2" tubes with a slit down the center that you can gather all the cables into?
I have so many cables running behind my tv and computer that its driving me nuts.

i ran a search for "Cable management" and didnt come up with anything. If anyone could tell me what else it could be called maybe my search could be better.
thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’ve had better luck getting large-diameter split-loom from the auto parts stores than the electronics parts outlets. But that was back before the Internet. :D

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Radio Shack carries it as does Staples. Suggest you keep your power and andio/video wires separated in different tubes.

Mort

Gau

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the headsup Mort. I will seperate the power from the signals.
I'm going to check home depot and radio shack tonight to see what I can scrounge up.

Dean_S

Second Unit
Fry's has it in the larger diameter. I don't know if they have it on their online store (www.outpost.com). I use a combination of this loom and those velcro ties. Be aware that Home Depot seems to be a ripoff on the velcro ties and most are 5 or 6 to a package for $5, but they also sell a roll of 50 (25 black, 25 gray) for just a few dollars more. I used 20+ just hooking up my TV, Directv recv, preamp, amp, DVD and sirius tuner and then loomed everything that is not inside the cabinet (behind the TV).

MonicaT

Auditioning
Does anyone know where I can find pics of how a HT would look like with cable management? Thanks

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Here is some advice on cable management:

Put your reciever on the bottom shelf. This will let the speaker wires flow away from things without being near the interconnects.

(Put the other un-touched devices like Sat reciever/CATV box above the reciever. Save the top shelves for components you touch like the DVD or Game system).

Look at the back of all your electronics and pick a side where most of the AC power cords come out. Put a power-strip on this side and run your AC cords to this far-side of your rack. ( A nylon cable tie for the topmost device can create a "tree" that all the other power cords can attach to.

Now you can let the interconnects dangle down the middle or use velcro straps/plastic loom to loosely bundle things. Do not tightly bundle your interconnects. We have had some members do this and notice interference problems.

Another idea: Label both ends of your power cords with a simple A/B/C.. so you know which plug goes to which device.

I had just put all my AC power cords in a wire-loom and a week or so later my Sat Reciever started having trouble. I called Dish tech support and after a few minutes of playing, I was instructed to un-plug the reciever from the AC power to allow the reciever to reset.

6 plugs...all black...in a thick bundle of wire loom (sigh) Murphys law of cable management strikes again.

MonicaT

Auditioning
Thank you for your tips, Bob. They were really helpful. I just asked for a pic because I would not know if I am doing the right thing here. If the receiver cannot be placed at the bottom (on my rack the 3rd shelf from the bottom has an extra support and I thought it would be safer for the receiver since it is the heaviest component.Although closer to the bottom would be better for balance) can I use a slit wire loom for the speaker wires? I was just wondering if I could see how the

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW Best Buy carries braided cable wrap. Not real cheap but has a nice look to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks