Cable length

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Brad-F, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Brad-F

Brad-F Stunt Coordinator

My Home Theatre is still in the plannnig stage. One of the options I am looking as is to divert the audio and video signal to another room in the house. This room will have its own speakers, tv and receiver.

The video signal I plan to move via a component cable, straight to the back of the tv in the other room. For the audio, i plan to run a Digital Coax cable to the other room to another reciever that will run the speakers.

My question is, how far can you send these signals? Are we talking a few feet, a few meters or a few miles?

In my case the component and coax cable will need to be about 30-40 feet (depending on the route that is taken when wiring it).

If that distance proves to be too far for a standard signal from either of those cables, is there a way to boost them?

2. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

I am pretty cofident that you will not need a booster for either of those signals. However I have heard that a different approach must be taken when runs of 25ft. plus are being ran. For the component cables I would run 3 lines of RG6 cable and crimp on 3 rca connectors. I beleive this would be cheaper and would handle that type of distance easier than would a commercial set of component cables. I am unsure of what cable length has to do with reference to quality or interfernece when using a digital coax.

Hope that helps abit

Adam

3. Cornelius

Cornelius Stunt Coordinator

Alot of it depends on what is sending the signal. Some receivers put out a strong digital coax signal that can be run 100 feet without a repeater. Some receivers put out a much weaker signal that can only be run a short distance. Another factor is the quality of the cable you are using.

As long as you have a decent receiver sending the signal and high quality cable, you shouldn't have a problem sending the component video and coax digital that distance.

CJ

4. Brad-F

Brad-F Stunt Coordinator

The reciever doing the sending is a Pioneer 912. I'm sure I could find the specs on the power output of the component out and the coax out, but even if I got the values, I would not know what is acceptable for this deployment.

Anyone here know of this power/distance ratio, or have an idea of where I could look to find out? What sort of output power is good for what I need?

5. Cornelius

You should have no problem running 40 feet, just use some decent cable (i.e., Belden 1694a or Canare L-5CFB).

CJ

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Uhhh... I dont think that reciever 'powers' the video signals, it only switches them.

Good RG6 coax cable is tested at 100 feet and the results are published. So 40 feet should not be a problem.

Unless you are splitting the signal first - are you?

I hate to say it, but sometimes it's easier to get a second HDTV box ($5/month) or another DVD player for the second-room system rather than try and do a distribution system.

If it is a DVD player you are trying to run to the next room, why not try a XBox or PS2 that doubles as a DVD player?

7. Brad-F

Brad-F Stunt Coordinator

In not exactly sure what I want send back there. I'm buiding a HTPC. It will do DVD, MPGS, MP3, DivX etc etc. So what ever can be played on the HTPC and passed the reciever, I want to be directed to room 2 if needed.

I'm not even sure if the 912 can output video or audio to 2 places at once. If it can't I may have a switch for the video or the audio, or I may try to spilt the signal.

Is spitting the signal a problem?

8. Cornelius

I was talking about the digital coax audio being powered by the receiver- sorry if that wasn't clear.

CJ