What's new

Cable Length (1 Viewer)

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Is there a limitation to the length of cable I can run from a digital out on a soundcard to my pre/pro? I'm not really up to speed on newer sound cards. What flavor is the typical digital out, coax or optical? I'm trying to find a simple way to play tunes stored on my PC on my HT setup.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
there is no typical cable to my knowledge. I've seen just as many use optical as I have digital coaxial. I have used a standard 50ft RCA cable to run a digital signal from my comp in the computer room to the living room without issue.

if your tight on cash the long cable runs are doable. . . though a dedicated HTPC is the better route as you can adjust everything on the pc for it's sole purpose.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info Rob. My cable run would be around 40 feet and it would easily be routable through the basement. Is there anything to look for / avoid when shopping for a sound card to send a digital signal to an HT setup?

Tony Loewen

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mark, I'm looking into the same sort of set-up, a little more glorified, actually. I was asking around on here about a good sound card, and a couple that are definitely worth looking into are the M-Audio Revolutions 7.1 and the sound blaster audigy 2 ZG. I think I'm going with the Sound Blaster. Everywhere I looked, they were about the same price, $99. As long as you are going into a HT set-up, there's no need to spend the extra cash on a breakout box. Both have digital out and support 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1

Hope this is of some assistance!

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks