Cable length and amplifiers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert N, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Robert N

Robert N Auditioning

Hi,
    Because of tree growth, I'm going to have to move my RCA 18" dish I use with DirectTV about 225' from my receiver. I understand that there is a 100' maximum run from the dish to the receiver unless I use amplifiers.
    In-line amplifiers and purchasing extra cable are something I've never dealt with. Any advice, plus answers to a couple of questions would be greatly appreciated.
    1. I know that I have to use RG-6 cable. Is there better cable than that? Is there a specific grade of RG-6 that I should ask for? I'm not looking to save money. I want the best signal possible at the receiver.
    Reccomendations on online ore phone order dealers?
    My plan was to divide it into 3 lengths. 100' and 100' and 25', with an in-line amplifier between each length. Are the amplifiers battery powered? How do they work? Do they just screw into the cable connectors? Again any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Robert Newton

2. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

I've seen the amplifiers - they do attach between cable ends, and are powered from the cable itself. Your cable box powers the LNB by sending 12 volts upstream. I don't know how much they boost the signal or whether more than one per cable is a good idea.
    Another thing you might look at is a larger dish. That will give you more signal to start with.
    I got my 24 inch dish at a radioshack.com retail store, and they have amplifiers for $9.95 each. Bigger dishes are available from other sources.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Over atwww.dbsforums.com there are installers who have used cable lengths of more than 100' with no problems. Each time you splice into the cable to insert something, you will cause a slight signal loss. Then you amplify the remaining signal with the amplifier.
    Go to Home Depot (or your local super hardware store) and buy RG6 quad shield cable in the length you need. If you are running coax for both LNB's, it may be cheaper to buy a box of 500' or 1000' instead of by the foot. They also have a coax stripper, crimper and F-connectors that you will need. I use the RCA brand stripper and crimper and Ideal F-connectors. I sometimes use the RCA F-connectors with the water resistant seal on outside connections.
    -Robert

4. Robert N

Robert N Auditioning

Larry and Robert,
    Thanks for your replies. I'll check the DBSforum. Didn't even know it existed. Thanks. Bigger dish? Hmmmm, never considered that. Had this old RCA 18in for years. Okay, sorry to pester, but my dish right now shooting through a few leaves that I can't clear because they're on a neighbor's tree, is registering about 45 on the signal strength meter. Theoretically, if I just switch this 18" dish out for a larger dish, then I'd be able to boost my signal strength up to acceptable levels. Right?
    Robert Newton

5. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

I don't know whether a bigger dish would help, but it probably won't be a permanent solution, because trees do grow. I just had to move mine for that reason. Why not try a bigger dish, then incorporate the new dish into the new setup if you do have to move the dish location.

6. Robert N

Robert N Auditioning

Yes, that's what I'll probably end up doing. Thanks again for the response.