What's new

cable internet question (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'm seriously considering getting cable internet here at my house. I have one problem though and that is that my computer does not have a ethernet card. Is it still possible to connect a cable modem to my computer without a ethernet card or do I need the ethernet card? what if I need to hook up a router? thanks.

-Kyle-

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
You need an ethernet card. They are cheap, and furthurmore, most cable companies provide the card to you with installation. If you want to hook up your computer to a router you still need an ethernet card. Installation could NOT be more simple.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
If you want to hook up a router, an ethernet card is a necessity. USB is an option on many modems but does not have the max bandwidth an ethernet card can provide. If you look in this weeks Best Buy circular they will probably have an ethernet card for 15 bucks or less Just bite the bullet and get one... you will be better off in the long run.

Also, something to look into...when I signed up for cable service (Comcast) they had a free offer for a starter kit which actually contained an ethernet card to install (though I already had them in my computers). You provider may have something similar or for a low cost of maybe 10 bucks as well.

J

Greg Rakaska

Stunt Coordinator
Again, with a router that includes RJ45 ports such as the linksys BEFSR41, you could connect your PC USB port to it through a USB ethernet adapter.

However, this is just a literal answer to your question, you do not "need" an ethernet card in your PC. But as others have pointed out, they are so cheap and easy to install/setup, so why not use one? My experience with USB ethernet adapters agrees with the other observations that they seem slower than a standard PCI NIC.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
okay, say I do get a ethernet card (which I am now strongly considering after what you guys have said) what system requirements will my PC need and how do I hook up the ethernet card or install it in my computer? thanks.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Keith,

If you are running Windows 95 or above, and your computer is Pentium class, you will have no problems installing an ethernet card.

To actually install, you will need to turn off your computer crack open your case and set the card into an open slot. Reboot and Windows will automatically detect the card and then ask you for the drivers which will be provided on a floppy or CD with your card. Thats about it, just follow the on screen instructions.

One thing to note though...make sure your system has a free PCI or ISA slot. PCI is perferrable and is about half the length of the ISA slots and white in color. An ISA slot will be long and black.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks