Cable Internet - How do they move it from the TV room to the Computer Room?

Jason L.

Second Unit
I have someone from Time Warner cable coming to hook up their Internet connection.

But then I thought to myself - I don't surf the Internet near the TV, I surf it in the computer room [where there is a telephone jack for DSL].

So, how do they get move it from the TV room? I don't want them ripping up the walls to run a cable and I don't want a wireless solution.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Generally they'll install a splitter where the cable line comes into the house. One line will then go to your television and the other will go to your computer room. In my place they just drilled a hole in the floor and threaded the line up from my crawlspace underneath.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
It's one or the other. If you don't want wireless, then they have to get the cable there somehow, but they hardly rip walls up. Like Michael showed, they try to find the simplest way to get the wire to room.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Be warned that often the cable company will not fish cables through the wall -- instead they will run them through the floor. This can look terrible, but they do it to avoid the potential liability of screwing up anything in the wall.

If you're handy I would say run it yourself to wherever the cable enters the house.

Another option would be to run some ethernet cable from the computer room to wherever the cable comes into the house. Then you could place the router right there. This could prove a more versatile solution later on because you could run more ethernet cable to other rooms from that central location. Also, CAT-5e cable is probably a little cheaper than RG6 and maybe a little easier to pull through the walls.

Jason L.

Second Unit
Thanks for the responses.

I cancelled the order and will go ahead with DSL because there is a phone jack already there.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
The cable company does a brutal job running cable to rooms in the house. A typical installation is a hole in the floor, cable pulled on the outside of the house on top of the siding, or an entry and routing or wire tacked to your baseboards. Run it yourself if you are going to cable route for a cleaner install.

J

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Our cable operators use a snake (basically a long strip of thin metal you can tape the end of the coaxial cable to) to run it through the walls. When our telephone pole came down, they also used a neat tool to run the cable through our yard about a foot underground. Never been brutal on my end.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Fortunately I had a cable outlet in the "Batcave" (my computer office, as my wife calls it.) It's on the second floor of our townhouse. Just hooked up my cable modem and wireless router, and get a "good" to "very good" signal throughout the entire house. I have two other computers down stairs, my wife's and the HTPC.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dan13