What's new

Cable hookup to receiver (Dumb question?) (1 Viewer)

Tom*T

Agent
I will be using a Pioneer 1014 receiver but this is a general hookup question. How do I run my cable tv (75 ohm RF cable 'F' type) into my receiver which seems to have only composite, S-video and component video inputs? I know I could run it right into my TV but I would like to use my receiver to do all the switching plus I wouldn't get surround sound during TV viewing.

I know it's probably a simple answer but I'm stumped?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Since the cable carries all the channels for your cable TV, you need to route it through a tuner before you route the sound to the receiver. You either have to run it through a cable box and then to the receiver or through the TV and then send the audio to the receiver. The latter only works if you have audio outs on your TV.

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
You could always use a VCR as a tuner and run the outputs from the VCR to the reciever. You still wouldn't get dolby but it would let you use your reciever for switching.

Tom*T

Agent
Thank you all for your quick responses.

I do have audio outs (R and L) on my TV. If I understand correctly I have three options:

1. Route the cable through the TV and use the audio outs from the TV to the receiver to get Dolby. The downside is I can't use the receiver for all the switching and instead will have to change inputs for TV and DVD viewing.

2. Use Jim's suggestion of using the VCR but no dolby for TV viewing. (But Jim, wouldn't the audio outs (R and L) on the VCR go to the receiver and allow for dolby?)

3. Get a cable box. I assume the cable box would have composite, s-vid or component video outputs and some type of audio output?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Depending on the cable box, you should get at least composite and maybe s-video. An HD box will give you component. Depending on your cable company, these boxes can also be outfitted with optical or coax audio for Dolby Digital programs.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
you can only get dolby pro logic (and other 2-channel-based dsps) with an analog connection from your TV. not dolby digital.

(sorry for the redundancy, jeff posted while i was composin' mine)

Tom*T

Agent
Looks like for now I'll go with Option 2 and route cable through the VCR since this will allow me to use the receiver for switching AND get Dolby Pro Logic for TV viewing. I'll have to look into getting the cable box for improved video (and maybe audio) outputs.

Thank you all for your assistance! I can't wait to get this stuff all set up and pop in LOTR as my first HT movie!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks