? cable hookup for future HD viewing

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Eddie L, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Eddie L

Eddie L Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinking about the future now since I have no HD gear (and have no idea what to get)
    I have BNC component jacks coming from the DVD player to my projector now.
    I keep hearing about DVI cable but my projector manual says that's for computer hook up.
    There is also the VGA D-Sub 15-pin for component and RGB signals.
    Which of these 2 inputs should I use?
    And what kind of cable ends..male/male or female/male.
    I really have no idea what I'm talking about here.
    Thanks,
    Ed

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Eddie.

The current crop of HDTV's have DVI jacks, but there are very few DVI sources right now so it's for the future.

The standard right now for HD gear is still component cables with RCA plugs. For a television, 2 HD inputs are fairly standard, 3 is a bonus.

3. Eddie L

Now I'm more confused. I have one set of component plugs (used now for my DVD), one spot for a DVI cable and one spot for a D sub 15 pin cable, on my front projector.
    Should I run both cables(DVI and D-sub)?
    if so, or even if not, what kind of end, male or female would go to the future HD source box?
    Thanks,
    Ed

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The D-sub is simply a smaller connection for component cables (analog). These are mainly used for small-footprint projectors where they dont have enough space for 2 sets of RCA jacks.

The DVI is a digital connection, but it's new, and even though the jack is present on some CATV-HD box's, none of them are enabled right now. There is a lot of issues with copy-protection that are still being worked out.

Do you want to discuss connections, or are you really trying to run cables IN ADVANCE of buying future equipment?

I understand the desire to 'future-proof' your wiring, but it may not be wise until you select your equipment.

If you really must:

Here is what I would do -

BASIC - Order a long set of component video cables from one of the custom sites. Put BNC connectors on the ends to support your existing setup. You can always get BNC-RCA adaptors later if needed.

This will serve you for years.

FUTURE PROOF - In addition to the BASIC setup I would:

- Install 4" smooth plastic pipe with a fish-roap so you can pull more/other cables later.

- Install a second component cable set with thinner coax, but have the custom sites use 2 of the wires for a SVideo connection, and the last for a Composite connection with RCA plugs.

- Run a DVI cable from source to destination. I believe all DVI cables have male-male ends.

The custom cable sites can do these types of things for you.

5. Eddie L

Great!
    Thanks, Bob.
    If I run that big a conduit I guess I can do whatever I want, whenever I want.
    My projector, the Yamaha DPX-1 has all you mentioned except for the 2nd set for components. As a matter of fact I installed the 5 wire cable with BNC jacks but left 2 off the projector (HD/SYNC and the VD) not knowing what these are for and not needed for my current DVD hookup.
    I also have the S-video and composite cables there.
    By not having a 2nd set of components is there some sort of splitter to use in case my future HD box has only component jacks and not DVI?
    I wouldn't undo the component cables from my DVD player, would I?
    Thanks again,
    Ed

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

If you have only 1 Component run, but then you get multiple HD sources, you need a Switcher, not a splitter.

This thread on Inexpensive HD Video Switching mentions a lot of products and some good discussion.

7. Eddie L

Thanks again, Bob. You've been very helpful. The link to the switcher box was especially informative.
    Ed