What's new

Cable Help (1 Viewer)

RichV

Auditioning
I need to run 40' of SVideo, Component, and RCA Video cable. What is the best way to go?

This will be in-wall so is there any future planning needed as well?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Well those are pretty long runs, especially for composite (RCA) video and s-video. This is what I would do...

Get four 40ft lengths of coaxial cable (that you use for outdoor TV cable). It is thicker than regular indoor stuff. You can either get the regular coax connectors for the ends that crimp on, then get F-RCA adaptors at Radio Shack, or you can order the one piece RCA ends that crimp onto the bare ends of the coax cables. (Other members here can provide the link for ordering purposes). You would use 3 of these cables for your component hookup and one for the composite hookup.

The s-video would have to be custom made but at 40' it will cost you, plus you may see some "bleeding" on a larger display.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
WHAT TO RUN:
Here is what I would do:
- Run 2 sets of Component video cables (3 conductor each)
- Run 1 long SVideo cable
You CAN use the SVideo cable, but SVideo is really 2 coax cables with a 30 ga center. Some people use 2 ordinary video cables (RG6 with 18 ga center) and a custom "Y" adaptor with SVideo going to 2 BNC connectors. This lets you use that second Component cable for the SVideo feed. The third cable - its your Composite feed.
WHAT TO BUY
You want to use either Belden or Canare coax for the Component video cables. Belden makes a good SVideo cable called "Brillance".
The RCA or BNC connectors MUST be Canare.
WHERE TO BUY
The "Accessories/Connections" fourm has lots of discussion of custom sites/supply houses that will build cables for you. This is just one thread with useful links.
There is a company called MarkerTek.com that sells cables to the broadcast industry. Their catalog says they will make up custom cables. I cannot find their section of the Web site for custom cables, so call them.
Good Luck.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
It depends how critical the S-video and composite connections are. If they are important, you'll need a video amplifier (I usually see them for S-video only). It may be cheaper for you to run one quality component video connection 40ft. and convert the composite and S-video to component...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks