What's new

Cable guys: What cables do I need with the following setup? (1 Viewer)

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the process of building a home theatre and needed some insight as to what types of cable I need to get to maximize performance.

Setup would look like this:

Sony 36XBR450

Denon 3802

Studio 60

Studio CC

SVS PC Sub

Panasonic DVD RP91K

Sony VCR

To properly wire the setup, what cables do I need exactly? BTW, I do not have a cable box, signal comes from a single coax cable if that makes a difference. I really don't feel like spending serious $$$$ on cables, but some like some decent quality stuff... First off I really just want to know how many of each type of cable I need, and how would I go about wiring everything for optimal performance.

Thanks,

Tony

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
This is just too much fun! I don't have your equipment, but this is a general rule of thumb. People don't always wire everything up the same.

1. Coax from the wall. Get a cable splitter. Send one to the VCR, and the other to your TV.

2. VCR OUT Use the A/V (red, white, yellow) from the output of the VCR to either: A - your receiver or B: your TV. If you do send it to your receiver, then your will have to buy a second A?V set to run from your receiver to your TV.

3A. DVD Player - Video - Use the componet out from the DVD player to your TV. This wire requires 3 - 75 ohm cables. A/V cables might not work, as the audio cables are sometimes only 50 ohm, and you need 3 cables that are all 75 ohm.

3B. DVD Player Audio. Use either an RCA or a Toslink from the DVD player to the receiver.

4. Speaker cables from your receiver to every speaker.

I'll let others battle the pro's and con's of wire. (It's too early for me.)

Glenn

Mark Rich

Second Unit
1. Run the DVD direct to the tv with Component video cable.

2.Use 3 S-video cables with the the VCR. Run them through the RCVR. Use one S-video cable from the RCVR to the TV another from the VCR to the RCVR and a third from the RCVR back to the VCR (only if you wish to record).For sound run an analog audio cable set from the VCR to the Rcvr.

3.Run the cable (CATV)to the VCR. Use the VCR as a cable box with the Denons remote doing the controling.

4. Use a digital coax cable to provide the audio signal from the DVD to the RCVR. IMO coax provides better sound and durability. There is also more variety available.

5. Buy good retail brand speaker cables (Nordost,Kimber,AQ etc..) for the front (LCR) speakers and generic 12AWG speaker cable for the surround speakers.

6. If you can afford it. Try and buy a Teflon insulated Subwoofer cable. It really does make a difference in the sound.

IMO,the above connections will provide the most performance and flexibility with your system. You will get the very best picture and sound from your DVD source while still getting decent performance from your VCR and CATV.

High performance, affordable cables can be found on-line from custom cable makers such as the following:

Bettercables.com

Avcable.com

RhinoCables.com

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies :)
Couple more question:
1. What s digital coax? Is that different that the normal coax that comes out of the wall?
2. What is toslink?
Sorry if these are dumb questions...

Mark Rich

Second Unit
A digital coax is a 75 ohm coaxial cable. Normally uses RCA type connectors. Yes you can use a good quality composite video cable but you will get better performance from a quality, purpose built digital cable. Yes the cable itself looks similar to the coax cable that comes out of the wall. Unless you are using a top quality Belden/Canare/Gepco cable for your CATV its not the best choice however.

A Toslink is an optical digital cable.

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

So, if I want to connect a panasonic RP91 w/ a 3802 for audio, do I use a digital coax or Toslink optical?

Whats better?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Tony, that was a bad question. Without starting a war, they are both equal in their performance. The toslink cable is more fragile, and a kink can put it out of commission, so it depends on what your DVD player can output, and your receiver input. Some units only accept one type, and the prices for both of these can vary greatly.

Glenn

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
Glen,
I don't intend to start a war:)
Can anyone explain, perhaps in a technical manner, the pro's and con's of each type of connection? Before this thread, I never new they even existed...

Mark Rich

Second Unit
IMO Coax cables do sound better in all the systems I've tried them with. You also have more choices available and they are more durable.

For a Denon such as yours I'd go with the coax cable. You do not have to spend a lot of money to get a great sounding coax cable either. After lots of testing I settled on the Rhinocables.com digital coax. Similar cables are made by DIYcable.com and boldercables.com

There are lots of other brands available but few offer the performance of these cables at the price.

Oh no, here we go with the jitter discussion:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks