Cable from subwoofer to AV receiver

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Wil Lee, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Wil Lee

Wil Lee Extra

Can I just use any ordinary AV cable to hook up the subwoofer to the AV receiver? I'm currently using a mono cable, but had to option of getting a digital one. Considering, it's only the subwoofer, am I wrong to think the cable doesn't make a difference?

2. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

A standard 75 ohm shielded cable with RCA phono plugs will work fine to connect the LFE output of your receiver to the line input of your sub (I am assuming it is a powered sub).

3. Wil Lee

Wil Lee Extra

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you. Currently, I've hooked up the receiver to the sub's "LFE out" with a "mono AV cable". The sub works just fine. I had the option of using a "Y-splitter" to connect to the sub's L and R inputs. The botton line is does it matter which connection I use for the sub, just as long as it's working right?

4. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

Hook it into either the L or R input. It doesn't matter. No "Y" adapter needed.

5. Tuan Le

Tuan Le Agent

Just curious why every single hometheater store I've seen uses the "Y" spliter on their sub left/right connections???

Thanks
    -Tuan

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Use the Y adapter. This increases the input voltage to the sub, which will resulit in a slight improvement in response. It will not give you a gain in SPL, because the calibrated SPL will be the same either way.