Cable for other-than-intended uses...

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Drew_W, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Hello again...

I'm wondering how effectively I can use cables in my system for something other than what they're intended for...

For example, my computer is a good 20+ feet away from my receiver, but I'd like to use the video out (composite) and digital coax audio outputs with my HT system...if I picked up a 25ft stereo audio cable (i.e. Monster Standard® Interlink® 100 Quality Interconnect), will this work well, or am I better advised to shuffle the stuff in my room around so I bring the distance between the PC and receiver back to a length that the proper cables could be used.

(Out of all the components in an HT system, it would seem that cables are the most confusing of all...hrmph)

2. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

No, both the Digital Coax and Video Cables are 75ohm and I don't believe that the Monster I100's are. You could pick up some standard coax with F-connectors and get a few F-jack to RCA adapters. That way you can't have any impedence-related issues.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

What Jeremy said! Both those connections require VIDEO cables, not audio.

Video cables are all made with something called 75 ohm impedence coax.

Audio signals are less-sensitive to impedence issues and are often made with 50 ohm coax. Audio cables WILL appear to work, but the video can show ghosts and the digital-audio signals can drop-out every minute/few minutes.