Cable feed and splitter

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Scott Racer, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Scott Racer

Scott Racer Auditioning

Just moved into a new home recently and have a question about cable TV and splitters.

The main feed line from the cable company that goes into the garage and meets up with all the cables from the house. It looks like each cable outlet in the house has its own coax cable. I need to feed a signal to 6 or 7 of these lines for TV and such. Right now I'm only using 4 of the cables and the main feed line goes into a 4 way splitter. The splitter is marked -7.5db.

I want to be able to feed 7 outlets in the house without losing quality of cable signal. What is the best way of doing this? I was thinking of an 8 way splittler--what are some better options? Where can I find high quality spittlers? Would an signal amplifier help? Any other suggestions and opinions are appreciated.

Also the 4 way splittler in the house now is marked -7.5db. Is this good or bad? What is the best?

2. Scott Racer

Scott Racer Auditioning

Why do I have to split for the cable modem? Is not able to handle the better signal? Are there some specs I should check on the modem?

I know the splitters say -3db, -7.5db, -11db, etc? How much does these really make a difference? If I just use a regular splitter (-11db or so), will there be a big change in picture and sound quality? I was also thinking of running the main feed line into a 2 way splitter and using one of outs to feed the main TV(47" Panny) and the other out to a 6 way splittler for the rest of the house.

3. Jason=R

Jason=R Auditioning

The dB ratings are important

loss can be calculated from db as

10^((db)/20)

-3db is .707 (about 30% loss)
    -11db is .28 (about 72% loss)

Go for the amplified splitters, they are better than -3dB.