Cable/DSL speed question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Gordy, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Andrew_Gordy

Andrew_Gordy Extra

Hi, I'm still pretty new with high speed internet connections and such. This question might be kinda stupid, but I was wondering if the length of ethernet network cable would affect the connection speed. Would a longer cable have a slower speed?? Thanks [​IMG]

2. DavePompea

DavePompea Auditioning

First, let's not confuse ethernet with Cable or DSL.

For DSL there indeed exists a speed vs length issue: the further you are from the CO (Central Office - where your phone line ends at the switching center) the lower the maximum speed.

With Cable, there is no length pratical issue of how long the cable is back to the providers hear end equipment. It's about 2 miles. Of course you are sharing the bandwidth with everyone else on your cable segment.

For the actual 10BaseT enthernet cable itself (I shall ignore 10Base5 / 10Base-2, ThickNet / Thinnet coax as hardly anyone uses them nowdays) there is a limit of 100 meters per segment.

That 100 meters is without taking into effect any induced noise that would cause packet errors and retransmission, hence a lower speed.

Dave