Cable DIYer's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Lanni, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Chris Lanni

Chris Lanni Stunt Coordinator

Christopher
    Well guys now that I have all of my equipment and it's hooked up, I am wondering if I am getting everything out of it. I am currently using all Monster cables. I notice that most people here think that Monster Cable isn't all it's cracked up to be so I thought that I would try to do my own. What I want to know is where everybody buys their Canare cable from? How about the ends? I want to make audio and video cables.

Thanks
    God Bless
    Chris

2. Whether cables make a difference (audibly) or not is a flame war topic. Both sides will adimately dissagree with each other.
    One think I think both sides will agree on is that Monster Cable is like Bose. All you pay for is their name.
    I don't know where people get there canare from. I use Belden (www.belden.com) 89259 and 88232 and get those at www.anixter.com
    For terminations, I use the Dayton Locking RCA's at www.partsexpress.com

3. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    I agree with Anthony, I don't necessarily think that Monster cables are crappy, its just that I can make comparable (if not better) cables for a fraction of the cost by going the DIY route.
    I ordered pretty much everything for making cables from Markertek. You may want to give them a call, though, as some items (like the stress boots for component cables) were not listed on the web site.
    Another great resource is Chris White's webpage, which provides an excellent starting point and shopping list for Canare cables. Check it out here .
    That site should give you all the info you need.
    Good luck.
    Jason

4. Chris Lanni

Chris Lanni Stunt Coordinator

Christopher
    Thanks guys for the info..

Anthony, any reason that you use Belden over Canare?
    Any difference that you know of?

Chris

5. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I use Canare and I get it from www.haveinc.com. They seem to have the best prices and widest variety of colors. Just send them an email of what you want and they will respond with a price quote. I don't know how Belden compares but it seems as though each does a good job.

6. I used the Belden cable I did for the price and the quality of the materials.

In both cables, the insulator AND jacket were FEP teflon (floamed FEP for the insulator on the 89259), and the wire/braid were bare copper.

The 89259 is about $1/ft+s/h from anixter. THe 88232 was around $2.25/ft iirc.