Cable/Dishnetwork Digital and HD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steve Carlo, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Steve Carlo

Steve Carlo Stunt Coordinator

Hi!

A couple of questions, not exactly sure what to be asking but here goes... We currently have Cox digital cable (with a Motorola cable box - it has the standard 3 RCA outs, S video and coax). We also have Dishnetwork boxes and are considering switching back to that. What I want to be able to do is have good picture (duh!) and be able to see those few OTA HD channels there are in HD.

The questions...
    Dishnetwork is a digital signal which means I can feed it in to the ant-DTV. Am I likely to get better picture by using the ant-dtv or by using S-video + L&R audio?

I can pick up HD with a set-top antenna fed through the ANT-DTV, can I view local cable chanels broadcast in HD through the cable box? I am guessing not without a specific HD capable box, since the TV instructions specifically say not to connect cable to the ant-dtv.

To receive HDTV with Dishnetwork it says you need an extra dish pointing at their HD satellite (I hear tales of SuperDish but I've not seen anything on the web site). I cannot receive local channels with DishNetwork due to my location. So to get round this I was planning on sending in a dish signal to ant-dtv and using a splitter to bring my OTA local broadcast into the connection with an external antenna. Any thoughts on how this split/combination could degrade quality? If I put the antenna signal through the dishbox will I lose the HD?

Thanks!

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

3. Steve Carlo

Steve Carlo Stunt Coordinator

Thank you Robert, you seem to have understood exactly what I was asking [​IMG] I'm guessing I can just as easily run 2 co-ax cables in tandem - one for the satellite and one for the OTA antenna - might avoid the diplexer losses.

One further question...satellite will come in via the cable box and the S-video feeds. The OTA broadcast stuff will come in to the ant-dtv (we have a pretty good signal and can even pick up some HDTV from New York PBS!). Say I want to record off the OTA broadcast. I have the option of splitting it and sending it to the vcr or (perhaps less desirable) using the video outs on the TV to send the signal back to the VCR - but then I will be forced to use my TV as the tuner. Just remembering...I have something called "loop out" which should be able to send the signal to the VCR.

I'll ponder this some more and try and find a decent OTA antenna.

Oh and regarding the local channels. Dishnetwork down here doesn't offer local channels, just the WB pacakage. I'm personally happier hooking up the external antenna myself, lets me see some HDTV!

Thanks