Cable Comparison - Monster vs Belden vs Radio Shack

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by MikeBoehm, Aug 12, 2004.

1. MikeBoehm

MikeBoehm Stunt Coordinator

Howdy,

I'm looking for a 20' or so S-Video cable to connect my DVD player to an older Sharp projector. I've been referred to a few different places that all end up being about the same price so I'm looking for which would give me the best quality picture.

The options I've found seem to be:

1) Radio Shack Cables (6' and 12') connected with a Coupler ($45ish)
    12' cable - link
    6' cable - link
    Coupler - link

2) Belden 20' Cable ($50ish)
    link

3) Monster Cable MV2 20' ($45ish)
    link

Any opinions on which is the best way to go? I'm assuming that using 1 cable vs 2 is always prefered but with an older projector will it really be noticable?

Here's a link to the projector in case that matters:
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/Shar...-XG-E1200U.htm

2. Cornelius

Cornelius Stunt Coordinator

My opinion would be go with the Belden Cable.

CJ

3. David K.

David K. Second Unit

id go with the beldon too.

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Belden

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

1) is a sloppy approach that I'd use only if I already had the stuff laying around and needed a quick fix.

I'd choose 2) over 3) simply because Blue Jeans is more forthcoming with information. If price is an issue, the following should provide comparable results.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I think the S-Video spec only allows for a 15' run. Long S runs can be problematic, so even though I'm a big fan of cheap cables that work within spec, I'd say go with Blue Jeans.

7. MikeBoehm

The other possibility I've been told is to pick up some S-Video connectors at Home Depot or some place like that and use a Cat5 cable to make my own. How would a 20' Cat5 made S-Video cable compare to a 20' Belden or Monster cable?

I'm assuming making my own would be really cheap since I can get LAN cables any time I want at work.

8. Cornelius

Cornelius Stunt Coordinator

It wouldn't be as good. You can also make your own using two RG6's, though it's hard to solder the ends into a small s-video connector. If you are good with soldering, I have some bulk Monster Video 3 cable and ends that would come out a little bit cheaper than your other options.

CJ

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Cat 5 is not shielded like S-Video needs to be. You could try it, but I wouldn't.

10. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

I won't use monster cables even on a test rig, I've had probably a 30% failure rates (ends loosening, or bad solder) I tend to use the daytona cables from parts express, but belden has never made a cable that let me down

11. MikeBoehm

I bought some M500v Mosnter Cable link to use as a test. I also bought the 12, 6, coupler setup from Radio Shack to also use as a test. Since the projector is so old, I guess we'll see what happens. Then if the Monster Cable really does show a noticable difference to me, I'll probably take both back and get the Belden (since it's cheaper than the $70 I spent today).

Only thing I see is that the Monster m500v cable says it ias the Nitrous in it but the Beldon 1808 and 7700 don't specify that. But does that really matter or is it a marketing thing...

So anyway, more to follow later....

Thanks for all the info so far.

12. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I use a RS 1 to 4 splitter to run video all over my house; the longest being 75 feet without a problem. Initially I had a composite signal made with Belden RG6 going to the TV 75 feet away without success.

13. MikeBoehm

Didn't get a resposne in the Basic forum but this site was recommended to me by one of our inhouse TV Studio technicians.

http://www.cablewholesale.com/cgi-b...text=10s2-01125
    At this link they have a 25' S-Video cable for less than $10. Has anyone gotten cables from here before to know if they are crap or decent? I currently have two radio shack cables connected together with a coupler that works just fine but that cost me over $40. I also got a MV3 $70 monster cable and I can't see any difference at all.

But $10 is $10 and I don't want to waste it if these are junk.

They do have quite a High rating at Resellerratings.com as well.
    http://www.resellerratings.com/seller4368.html

Thanks.

14. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

There are a lot of things that people say, specs say, and reality.

With line-drivers, we're blasting composite video 2000' on occassion. We've got several 100'+ runs of RGBHV without line-drivers.

But you should also be able to get a 25' or so foot S-video cable from Best Buy or some place like that for about $25 or $30 (like I did.)

Leo Kerr

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor