Cable Company beligerance!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Adam.Heckman, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

I am very sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, but this is a tough one to nail down.

My cable company is telling me that I MUST rent their digital cable box. I have a box (same as the cable companies) that a friend of mine is no longer using and would I like to use that. The cable company will NOT let me. They say that they can't turn on my service until a person comes out here and sets up their box and charges me for it.

I thought that as long as I only watched the programming that I paid for I could use any box I cared to. Isn't it to prevent a monopoly?

BTW my box is NOT a descrambler, that's stealing.

Thanks in advance.

2. John S

John S Producer

If they scamble channels, you pretty much have to use their box.... Plain and simple. Most cable companies scramble their digital cable, including mine.

3. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

The box has to be authorized on the system in order to work and in order to prevent theft most cable companies allow only thier boxes. They learned that lesson from the satellite companies who are getting robbed blind by people who use cheater cards and steal services.
    Check with your city council member. Cable companies have franchise agreements with the cities they serve which outline what they can and cannot do. Chances are the agreemnet includes using the companies box.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

At one point my Cable Company had a contract I had to sign that contained wording where I promised that I would not connect any un-authorized equipment to the CATV coax.

Sounds Draconian? What about the time the neighbor's kid re-wired the family TV and injected his video-game signals INTO the coax system and ruined reception for a block around his house every evening for a week until the CATV techs could trace the problem. Would you still think they are beligerant or would you think they did not do enough to prevent "un-authorized" equipment from being hooked up?

(And no, they never caught me [​IMG] )