cable card vs. box

benjaminBen

Stunt Coordinator
I have a sony 60" xbr2 and i was wondering what the pros and cons on having the card oppsed to the box. 1st things 1st i could care less about on demand or anything else like that... the only thing i care about is the picture and price. The price for the box is 9.99 a month and the price for the card is 2.99 a month. Someone told me that the picture isn't as good with the card. I just need to know if there is any real benefit to doing the box over the card. Because at 2.99 a month that is a great deal...thanks in advance...

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I haven't heard about Picture Quality differences in the card vs the box, but I guess that would depend on the quality of the decoder (Mpeg4?) and the scaler. If they are better in the cable box then the box will yield better results, if they are better in the TV or Card (I dont know where the brains are in a cable card setup) then the Card would yield better PQ.

It is also my understanding that cablecard is "one-way", meaning you can't do any video on demand with it, you don't get a program guide, etc.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo