Cable Buying

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Adam Sanchez, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

What's a Good (or a few good) sites to get good quality cables but without the price of say a Monster Cable? I need a HDMI cable specifically.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

3. Adam Sanchez

I've read recently alot of things that High End Cables (AKA Monster) are not at all worth it and a lower priced cable is just as good. Has anyone had any real world examples of this? I've had Monster cables being the best beat into my head for so many years it's staggering to think I can go buy a just as effective cable for like 1/4th the price.

I wanna be sure it is true though. I am in the market as I said about for an HDMI cable which is one of the most expemsive cables out there. If I can get equal quality for less money... I'm all ears.

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Adam,
    First of all High end doesn't equal Monster. It might to the comman man but they are peanuts in the grand scheme of things. The main answer to your question is "it depends". I've had experiences both ways.

5. Adam Sanchez

Ok well that being said, I have been pricing some cables. They are all generic brand but it seems even these vary in price. (Though no where near the $70-$150 I dont wanna pay!)

Any thoughts on any of these:

http://www.cablesforless.com/index.a...OD&ProdID=2218

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...2030&sku=40315

Or the 6 foot HMMI Cable from Bluejeanscables. (I wish I could see the pictures of their products!)

That's what I have found... on and a few on Ebay. 99 cent HDMI cable with $11 shipping! Hmmmm...

6. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

both cablestogo and cablesforless are pretty reputable, I have
    ordered from both in the past.

7. Adam Sanchez

What about the Blue Jeans Cable? It's the most of the bunch. If the cablesforless one is just as good... I guess that would be the way to go wouldn't it?

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

This is a 2 meter cable right? You may be agonizing way too much over this. It's like sweating the differences in video cables for your PC monitor.

9. Adam Sanchez

Yeah 2 Meters... which is about 6 feet right? Maybe I am worrying too much. My TV has alot of video noise it seems and I'm just worried something is wrong with my TV because I have to use the Noise Reduction on high and I don't know if that's Normal or not. I had posted about it but haven't gotten a response.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

My favorites:

www.cablesforless.com
    www.trianglecables.com

I recommend both without hesitation for all your cable needs.

Blue Jeans is high end in my book. I've used them, they're beautifully made and very heavy duty. Far superior to Monster for less money, but more than most people need.

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

What's the nature of your noise?

12. Soupen

Soupen Auditioning

try octavainc.com

I bought from them and it works great. It was easy to buy from website to. Takes about 2 seconds withouth looking at bunch of ads.

13. Adam Sanchez

I'm not sure what you mean what is the nature if my noise. It seems to be coming from my DVD player and it looks like "motion" around things. Like little pixels moving... etc. It stops dead only when I have the NR on high. I am not sure exactly what it is. It's just moving elements within the picture. It almost looks like film grain actually. Like I said, using the NR on high stops it dead.

14. Soupen

Soupen Auditioning

try octava.com

good cables, reasonable price.

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

This doesn't sound like a cable issue to me. Have you calibrated your display using something like "AVIA" or the "THX Optimode" on many modern discs? Often miscalibrated displays exaserbate artifacts in digital video.

16. Adam Sanchez

I have but not very extensively. I am awaiting my HDMI Cable still and since I am going to have to retweak all the setting for that input anyway, I've been kind of waiting.

Last night I was messing with this kind of cheapie calibration disc I have by Discwasher I think it is. I was going to the Black Pluge test and I noticed something. Even on FULL Blast brightness, I could not see the 2 black bars that Pluge tests often have. Ligher and darker. I could only see one of them. Is that cause for concern of my set? I'm using S Video currently. I was gonna see if the bars show up when I use HDMI but thought I would mention it in the off chance it's a sign something is wrong with the set.

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Nothing wrong with the set, it's the DVD player. What player do you have? Some DVD players will not display anything "blacker than black", when you go through tests you'll see exactly what you're seeing. I'd put $5 on the HDMI cable not helping, but I could be mistaken....[​IMG]

18. Adam Sanchez

I have Sony's new HDMI Upconverting DVD player. NVP-NS70H.

So it's the player... in that case is it "Good" the player does that with blacks? I'm not sure if you are saying it's a good thing or not. [​IMG]

Thanks for the replies, Philip.

19. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Sony is infamous for players that don't do "blacker than black" (as well as players that have the "chroma bug"). I have a single well DVD/SACD player in my bedroom that works this way.

It's not really a "good" or "bad" thing, though I prefer players that display the full brightness spectrum. If the TV is properly calibrated, the 7 or so shades of black below black won't be visible anyway, and theoretically there's little or no picture information to be seen there. However, as you've seen, it does make the actual calibration of the TV quite difficult, since the instructions are usually crank the brightness/contrast up to a certain level where you can see the blacker-than-black, then ease up. I have four DVD players in my house, and I'm pretty sure that only one of them will show the entire PLUGE. That's the one in my main movie room.

20. Adam Sanchez

This is mostly for Philip, since he already helped me a bit.

First off you were right, the cable didn't help and the black level thing is absolutely coming from the DVD player so here is what I did. Please tell me if this has any adverse affects.

My new DVD player has picture controls on it, picture, brightness, etc. I simply bumped up brightness with the DVD player 2 notches so I could see the Avia tests and adjusted down the black with the TVs brightness. I also turned OFF the TVs Black correction. (I dont know also if that was a bright idea or not either.)

Since my TV will only ever be playing that DVD Player through my HDMI, I figure it doesn't hurt to have the player use a little artificial setting for brightness so I can set it right.

Does it sound like I did the right thing?

Oh and this may be a really really dumb question but... what is the real use of the light sensor? I'm not sure I get that, or why I would wanna use it.

Thanks! [​IMG]