Cable Burn In Question

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Dave Koch, Feb 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator

Hi:

I am specifically addressing this to Chu Gai because of a comment he made earlier in a thread which I cannot now find. But it was a fairly recent post. Please do not think I ma baiting you- I am not! I just had a wild thought in one of my off moments, and I was hoping maybe you could address it!

The original post was about cables, and someone posted in about burning cables and making them directional. Chu, you made a comment that made a lot of sense- that electrons flow the wrong way 1/2 the time. Makes total sense. And for some reason, this comment has just stuck in my head.

But then I got to thinking- what if some of the cable cooking retoric was true? What if- as I undertsand the theory- it did align the copper crystals or something over time and use? What if it changed that 1/2 this way, 1/2 that way behavior just a bit?

Let us just suppose that- through magnatism, dynamic flow, blunt force or pure voodo that the copper crystals do align, even just a bit. And that this takes a bit of time to happen. It would make sense that to keep the flow going the same way, either blunt force (cooker) or through normal use, you might get a perceived difference over time- the "burn in" factor. And let us suppose that this makes it just ever so slightly more probable that electrons flow in one direction. So, now instead of 1/2 this way, 1/2 that, we have 51% this way, 49% that. Whould this make ANY difference? Would this difference be perceivable?

The analogy I came up with was a coin toss- probably the simplest 50% probability test. If you add a bit of weight to one side, you would throw off the 50% chance of heads over a large number of tosses.

As is probably obvious, I know very little about electronics. This is just something I thought up, and thought it might be interesting to toss out there!

Thanks!

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

First of all, the cookers are imposing an AC signal of one form or another so what happens in one instance is essentially instantaneously reversed a moment later. It doesn't matter that the signal is a square wave, a triangle wave, whatever wave. It can be shown mathematically that it's some combination of sine waves. The crystal structure of the wire or for that matter of the dielectric surrounding the wire is composed of various types of bonds and interactions that are quite strong. In order to effect permanent changes, enormous amounts of energy must be expended. Now one can say, and it's been argued what if we apply a lesser amount of energy for a greater length of time, won't that have the same or nearly so, net effect? No. As an example, it takes a certain amount of force to move an object. Let's say that object is a boulder and it takes a 400 hp truck with 400 lbs of torque to get it to start rolling. Now let's say that you have the strength of one horsepower. I don't care how long you push on that boulder, it ain't gonna move.

Regardless, scientists have tried to measure such things as directionality (i'm sure you've read about 'theories' postulated by the wire mongers having to do with micro diodes being formed due to specific crystal alignments) and if memory serves me correctly if differences do exist they are below the threshold of detectablity (less than 140 dB down) of the instrumentation. Now if you can't hear a difference in anything that's 140 dB down, really who gives a rat's ass if there is directionality? Again, head on down to the Shack and pick up a diode and stick it in the signal path of your speaker cables. Tell me how you like a directional cable?

As an aside, just think if a manufacturer were to drop a bunch of directional cables after having cooked them but before they were marked. Or consider if the cooker were reversed. Just how would the manufacturer test the cables to find out which end was which?

David, you and I both know that our sense of hearing isn't a constant. You have a good day at work, maybe you find the other half particularly amorous one day, and damn, that stereo sounds good. Never sounded better. Have a lousy day, your car gets dented, your other half is colder than a cadaver on Mars, and that stereo sounds like crap.

Better to spend your time getting your speakers and room as right as you can, pop open a beer, and just enjoy the tunes.

In general these are all cock-eyed theories. The idea is for you to let the head of the camel in your tent. Once you buy into one silly theory, the nose of the camel is in. Then you buy into another one, now the ears are in. One more and the head is in. Pretty soon you've let the camel into the tent and there's no room for you. Keep the camel out of tent.

3. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator

First, I had no idea cookers were AC- that DOES make a hell of a difference. If a stream starts down a new path, you can easily imagine that it would smooth the banks and make it easier for water to pass- that was what I was thinking. But if the stream reversed direction every 60/sec, it seems to me that all you would have would be mud.

Thanks for putting that up Chu! Straightened a bit out for me!

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Cable Burn In time??

Hint: If you're looking for a recent post by a specific member, try searching for that member's posts. You can do so (a) from the main search page, (b) from the member's profile, or (c) from any of the member's posts.

M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.