Cable box

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DerekCV, Aug 3, 2005.

1. DerekCV

DerekCV Stunt Coordinator

I have comcast digital cable, and I'm planning out my connections for my projector upgrade... I believe that the cable box has a DVI output, which would work to my projector... but if I upgrade to HD, would that box still have the DVI connector? Is DVI the best connection for that, or is Component the better?

Thanks
    D

2. Jorge M

Jorge M Stunt Coordinator

What brand of box does Comcast use in your market? AFAIK, Motorola HD boxes have DVI output, but whether they have the firmware that enables DVI depends on your area. SA boxes used to have DVI, but the latest models (8300) have switched to HDMI.

Unfortunately I think this is a question best posted to your local Comcast office, so put on an Enya CD, have some chamomile tea, and dial that number!

Your second question depends of course on the inputs available on your projector. However depending on how far away you install your projector you'll quickly figure out that component is almost as good and much cheaper per foot than DVI.

3. DerekCV

DerekCV Stunt Coordinator

I have a motorola box... the back of it appears to have coax out, an composite out, and a computer looking output (sorry don't know the style) that says "data" on it... no component like I was expecting to see. All the rest appears to be audio connections. Should I look at a HDTV upgrade for my 4805? Or will the Composite be... "good enough"

Thanks.

4. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

Derek,
    Go switch out your cable box for an HD Box. HD is that much better, even on the 4805. No need to use dvi/hdmi, component for HD is fine.