What's new

Cable Box - Volume Question (1 Viewer)

Arron H

Second Unit
I have the speakers on the TV off and set to fixed audio out so that the volume for my system is controlled via the receiver. However, there is also volume control via the cable box that I cannot find a way to bypass. I have the volume on the cable box turned all the way up. I then use the volume on the receiver to adjust volume up and down. Does anyone have an opinion on where to set the volume on a non bypassable cable box?

RayKk

Stunt Coordinator
I have the exact same problem and I am working on it this weekend and will get back with my results and I will be also monitoing this thread to see if anybody else has an idea

John Gido

Second Unit
My cable box volume control has an on-screen display and as you increase the volume, an arrow with the word "stereo" appears at approx. 75%. I would imagine that this is the "ideal" volume for HT. I don't seem to have any problems with this setting.

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
I also have my volume until "Stereo" shows up on the screen.
Works well for me. :)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This can be tricky. Set it too high and you probably get some residual noise in the system (from the box). Setting it too high can also get you distortion from the cable box's outputs.

On the other hand, set the volume too low and you have to turn the volume way up on the receiver, which can get you noise from it.

The 75% suggestion from David and John is a good starting point. You might fine-tune it from there so that the cable box volume is the same level as other components in the system – VCR, CD player, etc. That should work fine.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks