Cable Box to AVR ?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by stevenHa, May 17, 2017 at 1:01 PM.

Tags:
  1. stevenHa

stevenHa Stunt Coordinator

Just curious - do most people with a sound system connect their cable box to the AVR or do you just use your high end sound system for your blu ray player when playing blu rays or listening to CD's ? Does it make a big difference with broadcast transmissions ?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yes, I think most of us connect the cable box (or satellite receiver etc.) to the AVR. If the speakers connected to your AVR are better than the ones built-into your TV, then yes, all your TV shows will sound better. A lot better.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Alf S likes this.
  3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    My cable box is connected through my receiver, yes.

However, I can still watch cable TV through the television's speakers, without the receiver being on. For most of the TV I watch, that's exactly what I do. I don't need to hear news, sitcoms or cartoons in surround sound. However, there are a few shows (like the upcoming Twin Peaks revival) that I will use the surround sound for.

Having the cable box connected to the receiver gives me the option to choose between the TV's built-in speakers and the surround sound system, and I like having that flexibility.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  4. DavidMiller

DavidMiller Supporting Actor
    Supporter

David Miller
    I run my TiVo to my Xbox One S to the Receiver. Then you can use one of the sound algorithms to get some pretty good sound out of the TV shows.

5. Keith G

Keith G Extra

Keith
    NFL and NBA games sound good in surround.

6. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    100% this.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt likes this.
  7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Your TV must have some awesome speakers. Mine doesn't, so it's worth turning on the system to watch anything, just for the improved sound quality.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pfughaupt

8. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I'm sure it doesn't - it's just an LG 50" screen with whatever came built in. I just don't want/need to be overwhelmed with surround sound for everything I watch. I don't want everything to be immersive. I like having a distinction between when I watch movies and when I watch TV. I'm definitely under-utilizing my system in that regard, but there are a lot of programs where I'm satisfied with how it sounds coming out of the TV and don't want the louder, more expansive soundscape that the surround sound setup offers.

9. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    AVRs with pass-through are your friends.

Alf S likes this.
  10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have not used my TV speakers in our main viewing room in over 30 years. The first setting I change with a new TV is to turn off the speakers. Everything runs through my AVR. I spent a significant amount of money building a quality sound system, so I have no desire to listen to the TV's speakers, which pale in comparison.

With any universal remote, it should be simple to set things up to easily turn on your system correctly to use the AVR all the time. With my $50 Harmony 650 remote, I just have to press the "Watch TV" button and TV, AVR and cable box all turn on and are set to the proper inputs. Pressing the "System Off" button turns everything off. Easy peasy!