What's new

Cable Box Not responding (1 Viewer)

picarddj

Auditioning
Real Name
Donald
TV is Panasonic, TH588PZ700U Plasma, Home theater Panasonic TH588Z700U,Comcast Cable Box is Motorola DCH3200/3385
Connected as follows:
Coax Cable from wall to cable box
HDMI from Cable Box to TV
HDMI and Digital audio cable from Home Theat. to TV
Problem is Cable box does not respond well to Cable remote. Have swapped out box and remote, fresh batteries and tried every Motorola code listed in cable box book. Also tried to control via Panasonic HT remote using the Motorola codes they supplied. Best I can get is: channel changing is erratic, volume and off/on always ok, but other functions (like guide, selecting channel with numbers, last channel) don't work.
If I turn off the TV either at TV or via remote, tI can select channels OK with remote (Cable box indicates channel selected). Called Comcast, no luck. Anybody got ideas? Other TVs in house fine.

joedrumma

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Donahue
There seems to be an issue between certain Panasonic TVs and the Motorola DCH series set top boxes. The DCT series work fine, but the DCH has a problem and neither Panasonic nor Motorola will admit it. I'm having the exact same problem with my TH-50PX60U Panasonic and the DCH3416 DVR. You can read about my issue and others here:
3416 in CO, Remote doesn't work - dslreports.com

I've tried raising the issue with my cable provider (Charter), Motorola and Panasonic. Each one says the problem is with the other. Panasonic was the most receptive, but they said they'd never heard of it before. Motorola was very stubborn and said that it was a problem with the remote of with Charter - they wouldn't even consider anything else. My Charter tech did say he'd seem it before with certain Plasmas, but he didn't identify Panasonic as the brand. Perhaps if enough people bring it to the attention of Motorola & Panasonic, eventually one of them will acknowledge the problem. Since I've only heard of it happening with Panasonics, it seems to me like it must be a Panasonic issue, so maybe start with them? Good luck!

joedrumma

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Donahue
Update: I gave my TH-50PX60U the "EEPROM TV Firmware update" to go to version 1.25. I just checked it out and it seems to have fixed the problem! My cable supplied remote is working perfectly with the DCH3400 now.

joedrumma

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Donahue
Update: The eeprom upgrade had nothing to do with it. The real issue is that my Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma TV is causing IR interference with my DVR. When I reduce the brightness of the TV, the remote works fine with my DVR. When I change my TV to "Vivid" mode (very bright), the remote stops working. When I change to "Cinema" mode (darkest setting), the remote works fine. I moved the DVR so that the IR receiver is behind the TV screen, set the mode to "Standard" (medium setting) and there is no problem. The remote works fine as long as the DVR is kept as far back as I can get it and I keep the brightness down.

Necrojoker

Auditioning
Real Name
Necro
I am a Comcast employee and I have have had several customers with the same issue. I've sent up escalations, but unfortunately Comcast does not make the cable boxes as you are probably aware.

I wasn't aware that changing the picture mode resolved the issue; I'll be sure to pass this on to my customers.

From what I can tell the problem seems to only be with the Pace RNG110 model boxes and only with Panasonic plasmas. My best guess is that the issue is found in that Panasonic Plasma TV's do not use Mercury (which is a very good thing), but instead they use Phosphuros which produces a different spectrum of light thus causing interference with particular devices. I've not seen any confirmation on this, but it seems to be the simplest and most obvious answer.

tjohnusa

Agent
Real Name
Terry John
If you noticed he moved the receiver behind the screen....If your customer has the receiver right under the tv and has a stand try moving the receiver as low to the floor or as far away from the screen as possible. You may even be able to add a shield...oversized piece of cardboard on top of receiver extending over the front of the receiver

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bill scruggs
Recent bookmarks