Cable box and S-output - help needed

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tommy_N, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

I've realized that I don't think I'm getting the best possible performance out of my gear.

1st Cable TV goes from the wall to the cable box to the VCR. From the VCR audio goes to my receiver (Denon 3802) and video to my TV.

All the video connections are made with Cable TV cable (VHF&UHF) as opposed to composite cables. My Cable box has a S-video output. But it doesn't work when I connect it to the TV. Why not? Can the signal travel this way?

The cable box also has a digital audio output. I assume that I could get DD with that. I would just have to connect it to my receiver.

Next I don't think I've ever heard true DPL. With my VCR on I can get sound my receiver, but the rear speakers do not work in DPL. I have a HiFi VCR with RCA cables going to the receiver. Shouldn't the rear channels work?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tom

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Tom.

Many CATV box's have SVideo outputs and DD outputs, but the cable company did not buy those options when they bought the system. This may be why yours dont work.

But do you know how to switch inputs on your TV? Just hooking up a SVideo cable between the box and the TV may not do anything unless you change inputs on the TV. If you have done this and not gotten any video, the box is not outputing SVideo.

CATV and Digital Output

3. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Bob,

Thanks for the response. I have cycled through all my TV inputs, but no S-Video. Maybe I'll call my cable company.

I understand what you said regarding a DD signal in mono. I guess I'll have to expirement to see if it is worth it for channels (such as HBO, PPV)that offer true 5.1 sound.

Every time I switch from one type of channel to another I would have to switch inputs on my reciever if I wanted the best sound. - Sounds like a little bit of a pain but I guess that what macros are for [​IMG]

And thanks for the tip about DPL. I'll have to try it out and see what I get.

Regards,

Tom