What's new

Cable (as in wire) Question... (1 Viewer)

JustinJB

Grip
Hello again,

Hopefully I'm not wearing out my welcome. This is my second or third question in the past two days...

In any case, I've got all my equipment picked out. Im using the Pioneer VSX-1016TXV receiver. The only reason I'm going with it is because it accepts HDMI. From what I gather, some HD DVDs will not play in their full glory through component, forcing me to upgrade to the entry level HDMI reciever.

However, this particular receiver only accepts video through HDMI, no audio. This means I'm going to have to run separate audio cables...which I'm not at all against. I'm wondering which [audio] connection cable I should order for the HD-A1 HD DVD player and DCT-6412 HD cable box. To my knowledge, both accept digital and analog cables.

I was originally going to spring for digital-optical for both, but the CNET review of the receiver in question had a cryptic remark stating, "Audio connectivity includes one set of stereo inputs and one in/out tape loop. The 7.1-channel analog input can be used with HD-DVD, Blu-ray, DVD-Audio, or SACD players. (In fact, because of the aforementioned HDMI audio shortfall, it's your only worthwhile choice.) You also get five digital audio inputs (two coaxial, three optical--one of which is on the front panel), and one optical output." This left me with a big question mark over my head...

The basic senario is as follows: the HD DVD player will be connected to the TV via HDMI, but video only. The cable box will be connected via component cable, also video only. What is the preferred audio connection for these two devices? For referance, I am using a 5.1 surround system (not sure if that has any bearing).

Thanks for your time.

JustinJB

Grip
Okay, I know that the Toshiba HD DVD player (after checking manufacturer site), has digital Coaxial audio out, and optical audio in...being as I dont want audio going in, I'm assuming I would want to go with Coax out as my audio source? Toshiba recommends the coaxial audio over the DACs because it is digital to digital and foregoes the need for multiple analog cables. The cable box still eludes me...ill have to dig on that.

Any opinions/comments/direction greatly appreciated.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Most likely your cable box has either an optical, audio out or a digital coax output. Run the optical out to your receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks