Cable/Antenna Dillema

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Rubbish, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Rubbish

Rubbish Auditioning

Hey guys, I'm new here I searched for over an hour for answers and this seemed like a good place to get some.

Here's my dilemma..
    I have an Over the air antenna and I have basic cable... My TV only has one input for Cable/Antenna..

So I'm looking for a way to possibly split them, or maybe some kind of reciever will work, I don't know.

Did any of you have this same problem? I've been searching non stop online for an hour and cannot find any good answers.

Thanks!

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Welcome to the forum Robbie.

From your note, I assume that your TV has only a coax (RG6) input and that your cable box has only a coax output.

Many cable boxes have an input for an external antenna. First check your cable box to see if that is a possibility.

If not, the simplest (and cheapest solution) is to buy a switch box that has two (or more) inputs and one output. Assuming that you only need coax inputs and outputs there are some very cheap, mechanical boxes on the market (check Radio Shack or one of the Big Box stores).

You can easily switch from your external antenna to cable using this device.

3. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

What is the Model of your TV?

What inputs are on the back of the TV?

Do you have a VCR?

I could come up with a few different solutions depending on what specific models and equipment you own.

4. Rubbish

Rubbish Auditioning

5. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Still wondering if you have a VCR in the system.

You could use the VCR as your Tuner for either the Cable or Antenna and use the Coax in for the other.
    Which ever you bring into your VCR then Connect your VCR to a Video Input on the TV. (Video (yellow) and audio (red and White)out of the VCR to Video 1 (or whatever) on the TV.

Use the VCR to tune the off air and the Tuner in the TV for the Cable or vise versa.

If your TV has HD off air tuner built in you will want to bring your Antenna to the TV and the Cable to the VCR then your VCR will act as your Cable box.

If you go the way of the "Switch" you would probably have to go back into the tv setup menu every time you switch from Cable to Antenna as the Frequencies after channel 13 and up are different on cable then off air.

6. Rubbish

Rubbish Auditioning

Exactly what I will be doing in the mean time. Thanks!

I just read on my Cable provider's website that through digital cable I can recieve the local channel's HD stations. So once I plan on getting an HD package with ESPNHD and etc, I will just be getting my OVA station through the cable.

7. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

That's probably the best way to go. Get the HD Package with the cable box. Soon you will be needing the Cable box anyways as most Cable providers are swithing over to "Switch Digital" You might want to watch the new thread I started to explain the new cable digitial system. I'm just learning about how cable will be working in the future.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=243473

8. Rubbish

Rubbish Auditioning

Awesome man. thanks so much for the help. This is definitely one of the best help forums out there. Alot of the Message boards I've been around are mostly all just popularity contest where noone new can get any help of any kind.

HTF is definitely a class act.

9. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Kewl. Keep coming back for more!