What's new

Cable and other opinions wanted (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
In my continual search for my future upgrade list I have decided it was time to look at cables. I'd like opinions on what I have found so far.
Component Video
Rhinocables Video Performance
http://www.rhinocables.com/video%20performance.htm
Anyone use this companies cables? They seem to be top quality at a VERY reasonable price.
Power Cable
Bolder Cable Company AC Power Cord
http://www.boldercables.com/Store.as...777&s=AC+Power
OR
DIY Asylum Cable
http://www.diycable.com/power_asylum.htm
OR
BPT Clarity C7
http://www.b-p-t.com/
I also have a question about interconnects. I have heard recommendations of Outlaw PCA cables to connect your pre/pro to your amp. Could you also in turn use them to connect an SACD player to your pre/pro or receiver? If so would they be a good way to go or could you recommend some other analog cables that can be had for not a lot of $.
Finally, I have been looking at power conditioners/surge protectors. If I were to have my receiver, SACD player, DVD player, and my LD player hooked up to one (and possibly more), which of these would you recommend:
Panamax Max 5100
OR
BPT BP-Junior
The only downside of the BPT is that it has only 4 outlets. Would it be a better choice than the Panamax though?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
What is it that you wish to achieve with your upgrades. Are you trying to address a particular concern? With regards to power conditioners/surge suppressors there have been recent threads in this particular forum that you may want to go back and read. If you live in an area where surges are common and lightning is not unknown, you may wish to focus on different aspects.
You may also wish to pose some questions to the manufacturer's you're considering. Take for example BPT.
While they state all their products filter EMI/RFI bot incoming and outgoing they also state "Heavily dampened, steel chassis helps reduce EMI/RFI radiation" which might suggest that while the unit filters the stuff going in and out, its also quite prone to generating some significant quantities that need to be addressed. I'm sure they've got an FCC certification that states that its not a problem, much like the FCC certificaion that you'll find on your own equipment. As far as lowering noise floors and the audible and/or visual benefit, or statements such as "And the bass? Well, the improvements in punch, solidity and extension are absolutely remarkable" I'd be inclined to ask for some data corroborating it. Certainly, I would think that a company that has invested a bit of money into R&D to design such a unit must have access to equally solid studies indicating this is so. Perhaps a literature reference indicating the quantifiable nature of say the video display using their or a similar unit would be useful. With luck you won't be directed to an audio review magazine.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
This is always my first place to ask questions of this sort because it is the fastest and generally the most informative. Trading emails over a few days with a large company usually doesn't cut it. I'm lucky if they answer my question in 2-3 emails. I will go back and take a look at the surge protector and power conditioner posts. I should have done that to begin with.

If someone could please help me out with whether or not Outlaw cables are a good choice for an SACD to receiver connection that would be great.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
The outlaws are a perfectly fine cable. I believe they're made for outlaw overseas and unless outlaw has changed their policy, I don't believe you can return them unless they're defective. The single crystal OHNO process thing is a bit of a stretch and is likely largely both a marketing thing and has to do with their supply coming from overseas. IMHO you would do equally well with cables from www.partsexpress.com as well as middle of the road AR's. Regretfully they will not come with endorsements from Stereophile etc.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Allen,

I have the BPT-2 Ultra in my system.

The BPT Jr. is rated at 2.5 amps. You did not mention your receiver but surely at moderate listening levels it will draw atleast that. So, I believe that the Jr. is too small for your application.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
For interconnects, the Link Removed also sells the Belden 89259 which is Jon Risch's recipe and a cost-effective upgrade.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I'm not worried about an endorsement from a magazine for any of these cables. I think the members of this forum are a better endorsement than any magazine out there. Well, usually hehehehe.

I'm not familiar with all the amps and wattages of components so thanks for the heads up on the bpt product. I'm sure the Panamax will do just fine.

Right now I use IXOS cables for a connection from my SACD to my receiver. Not sure on the model number, but it is 6 cables bundled together and color coded specifically for this type of application. I'm looking for something "better" (I know that is very subjective) than that. Not for my current setup, but for future use to replace the IXOS cables AND for a connection from pre/pro to amp.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Also I have a question for Bill. Do you notice any difference now that you use the bpt-2 ultra compared to whatever you used before?

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Phil,
DIYcable.com no longer sells these cable pre-made. They are only available in kit form so unless you are willing to solder them....
FYI
RhinoCables and Boldercables do sell the Belden 89259 cables pre-made. Both should be above average in performance at reasonable cost.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Thanks for the clarification Mark. I don't go to the sites often as when I've used the 89259 in the past, I've bought a spool. I would definitely agree that it gives you very decent performance at its price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks