cable amp booster and satellite.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jimmy vb, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Jimmy vb

Jimmy vb Stunt Coordinator

Just took a Mitsubishi 55809 out of the box and have been setting it up. The DVD picture looks great, the vhs pretty good, but my digital cable is driving me nuts. All of the analog channels look like garbage--the digital somewhat better. I am having the satellite guy come out Thursday but I am almost sure I won't be able to get it because of trees obstructing my southern view. HOW CLEAR A SHOT DO YOU NEED? I've got a couple of "holes" that they might be able to shoot through--but at a pretty high arc--I am not optimistic.

I also called Adelphia(aargh) and they can send somebody out in TWO WEEKS to check on it. I am going to see about boosting the signal with an amp they might have. HAS ANYBODY HAD LUCK WITH THESE DEVICES FROM THE CABLE COMPANY? I will likely send this set back and settle for much cheaper(why pay the bucks to watch a crappy picture--I can watch a crappy picture on a $700 set) but I REALLY don't want to do that.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jimmy:

Wouldn't you want to keep the set for its great DVD images--and maybe one day get a DTV settop box? Just because "digital" cable looks bad doesn't mean the set is bad--it would be akin to shooting the messenger. "Digital" cable for the most part looks pretty bad--and a better set will more easily expose those flaws.

As for DBS, you just might be able to get a signal through fine. Even though it's recommended to have a clear line of sight, I know of two cases among friends where this has not been possible--and yet they get good pictures.

Instead of dumping the Mitsu, I'd dump the stupid "digital" cable. Hell, live with OTA signals--they look better than most of the processed garbage proffered by cable. And they're free to boot.

3. Jimmy vb

Ahh but for the wife and the town I live in. There are NO ota signals where I live except for pbs--I am at the mercy of Adelphia or satellite. I have my fingers crossed that satellite works out for me--if not I am stuck with whatever the wizards at Adelphia can pull out for me.

As for dumping the set--it is not my favorite option. The problem is, the purchase is the culmination of a three year campaign to replace my very old Mitsu widescreen(the three guns shot out on a mirror which shot back at the screen--surprisingly good picture if the lights were off). The wife finally consented to a big screen hdtv ready purchase--when she sees the absolutely crap picture for tv--it does not make for a happy time. As I said, we could have a crappy picture alot cheaper. Not the home theater enthusiast is she. I would love to keep it just for dvd--but we watch too much regular tv to justify it--it is our only tv set except for a 13 inch in the kitchen.

I am really hoping that there is a path between the trees in my yard that allows me to get satellite. On to the waiver of local channel prohibition process for me. My market is too small to have regular access to network affiliates yet we don't get any ota--SO--we have to submit a waiver and plead with the local affiliates to let us have a feed from NY for one of the big four. I may keep a stripped down cable package(20 channels--$11/month-same crappy picture) even if I get satellite just to have access to local news/sports/weather.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jimmy, why don't you have a long talk with your wife. Explain to her why the signal looks the way it does--that a high-end, sophisticated HD-capable RPTV will simply expose the flaws in the cable programming. Also try explaining why the new Mitsu is so good, what makes it special.

And depending on your DBS setup, there's no guarantee it will provide a better picture. It should, but not always.

Why not also consider getting a 27-inch direct-view set for the bedroom or some other area and reserve it for standard-issue cable?

5. Jimmy vb

I am certainly going to give it a shot. Getting rid of the set is only a fallback. If she is adamantly opposed to spending alot of money for what she says(rightly so) is a worse picture--then I get a 36 inch direct view and ride the storm out for a few years until, we all hope, hdtv signals start coming through cable companies on a more regular basis--or at least there is more hdtv programming on satellite. I am also concerned that the dbs signal may not be much better--but it is an option--the digital channels are really not all that bad.

I might even get the old mitsu fixed. I woke up last Saturday, put on Dexter's Laboratory for the kids and smoke started coming out of the set. It turns out it was a capacitor(or diode--I get confused--little gray thing soldered to a circuit board about the size of a camera battery). There is a local guy who is an absolute genius with fixing old tvs who even soldered together a cracked circuit board from an old move of that same tv--he could fix it for probably under $200 and I would still be in waiting mode.