What's new

Cable 4:3 broadcasts on a Toshiba 16:9 TV (1 Viewer)

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
Obviously the best choice for a rptv is 16x9. Does it matter that my wife would watch regular television on this set most of the time. That would mean that there would be a black bar on either side since cable is not broadcast in this format. How is the stretch mode on a toshiba?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Just tell her to get used to Full or TW1 ... since 4:3 will damage the TV in the long run / short run.

damage to tv ... damage to tv ... $1000 repair cost ... $1000 repair cost ... no warranty on this ....

Regards

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I would just like to point out that if you will be watching a great deal of 4:3 material then maybe a 16x9 tv is not the obvious choice. you can usually get an equivalent 16x9 screen size from a comparably priced 4:3 tv.

just something to consider, why distort your image at all just to have a more rectangular box around your screen?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That would mean that there would be a black bar on either side since cable is not broadcast in this format.
Unless Toshiba has changed their design, the side bars on a cable broadcast will be grey.

Also, I'm retitling the thread, since the question isn't limited to burn-in.

M.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
The stretch modes on the Tosh are unbeatable. On most "normal" TV it's hardly noticeable at all that the picture is stretched. And, as above, the bars on the sides will be grey if you don't stretch, to help prevent burn-in. I'd stretch on non-critical material, though.

Jan

SteveDev

Agent
Brian,

I think I responded to this similar question of yours in another thread. I too watch a lot of 4:3, and the wife solely watches 4:3 since she couldn't operate a VCR, let alone a DVD player! However, I wanted to go 16:9 since this is obviously where TV is heading, but was really afraid I couldn't get used to regular cable on these sets. Most sets weren't "terrible" by any stretch of the imagination (pardon the pun), but to me people did tend to look shorter and fatter, or there would be abnormalities at the left and right sides of the picture, especially in scenes where the camera is moving horizontally rather quickly.

Watching 4:3 material on the Tosh (I've got the 50HDX) in TW1 is great, one of the best strech modes in the industry as far as I'm concerned (most, if not all, will agree that this is Toshiba's biggest strength). Some say it cuts off too much at the top and bottom, personally I don't think so and have compared the Natural mode with TW1 mode and the amount that is cut off is negligible.

Oddly enough, now when I go to friend/family and watch cable on a 4:3 screen, I prefer my widescreen!! I'm willing to bet you won't be dissappointed with the way it handles 4:3.

Regards,

PBC

FYI - Pioneer's are also known for their great stretch modes.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
You don't have to stretch. You could zoom and crop.

Works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks