Cabinet recovering help

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MitchKel, Aug 24, 2004.

1. MitchKel

MitchKel Extra

I'm getting ready to recover an older pair of speakers in some 1/4" oak plywood. Considering I epoxy the plywood to the original cabinet will it change the sonic signature much? The original covering is vinyl btw.

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Epoxy seems a little extreme. If anything it would probably make them sound a little bit better from the
    added cabinet strength. What kind of speakers are they?

3. MitchKel

MitchKel Extra

Polk SDA 1's. I don't have a woodworking shop but a guy from work is going to give me a hand. He suggested epoxy.

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

The only downside of epoxy here is that its a litttle expensive, otherwise good idea. Getting the ends of plywood to look good will be a challenge. Mitering the corners is one option, but the cuts will have to be dead on.

5. MitchKel

MitchKel Extra

Good point on the ends of the plywood. I've been thinking of trimming the edges with wood. Just haven't decided whether to stick with the same type of wood or use a different color to contrast.

6. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Are they in bad shape or something or are you just looking to make them look a little nicer?

If you really like the speakers then maybe consider gutting out the boxes and making some news ones altogether.
    Then you could finish them in a nice veneer or laminate.

It looks like the SDA 1s are particle board and vinyl finish so it would not be too hard to beat the box and finish quality.

If your not really attached to them much then maybe consider selling them and using the money to fund your a DIY speaker.