What's new

cabinet lining materials? (1 Viewer)

RaphaelZ

Agent
How important is it to line the inside of the cabinet in addition to any fiberglass or poly insulation. I've read about asphalt roofing materials, felt, carpet underlay, and I was thinking of using some kind of spray-on rubberised stuff possibly. How important is any of this if the cabinet is already well sealed with silicone. I've seen the insides of various manufacturer's cabinets, and they don't seem to bother with anything but fiberglass or foam. I'm planning to use fiberglass or egg crate foam to line the cabinets for sure. Do I need anything under that lining? Any suggestions would help.

Raphael

Ron D Core

Stunt Coordinator
Some companies do that, but most dont becuase they are cheap. JM Labs even lines their Grand Utopias with lead strips. The rubberized spray on stuff rarely works well. I would go with Dynamat + eggcrate + Polyfill. You would just have to compensate for the volume that stuff can take up. Here is some good info

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Dynamat is the name of what it is. There's different versions such as original, extreme, etc.
It's pretty expensive, cost me $40 for a 4 ft square piece of dynamat extreme and that's the cheapest I've ever seen it. I used it to line my computer case and didn't get the results I planned on. :frowning:

Cam S

Screenwriter
Chris, if you were expecting it to lessen the noise of your computer fans, it's won't do that. All it will do is supress the vibration's. mainly why it's used for speakers and car's with big subs.

CurtP

Grip
A much cheaper version of Dynomat®™ is a product called "Brown Bread". It's very popular among the mobile audio crowd.
I have seen people use "ice dam" too. Most home improvement stores carry it in the roofing section. It's a rubber product that has an adhesive backing on it. It may take several layers to get a similar effect though.

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Just a note to help out any fellow tight wads here. I have used the ice damn, or water and ice products with very good results in cars. I'm sure anywgere you were going to use a Dynamat type product,...this would be a much less expensive alternative,...it does work.

>>>--->

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks