CABARET: Wow, what a dissapointing release

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris larralde, Dec 1, 2002.

1. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

I was shocked to find out this was 2.0 and non-anamorphic!!

There has to be another release in the works ... right?

2. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

Brilliant movie! I thought it was a decent disc at the time, but this "special edition" is about 5 years old now and it shows. All the bonus interviews, the featurette and the documentary can't make up for the fact that the transfer of this 1.85:1 film is non-anamorphic and otherwise not as vivid as it could be.

As for the sound, I think it's very good considering the age of the material, although it's mixed a bit bright to my ears.

I'm sure Warners could do a much better job with it now if they wanted to, but do they want to?

3. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Second Unit

Sean Aaron
    Region 2 (UK) has 30th Anniversary Special Edition (I think this is the first time it was released over here and it was pretty recently) which claims to be DD 2.0 and anamorphically enhanced.

I think I may get this for my wife for x-mas as we sold the one we had purchased in the States when housecleaning for the move to the UK.

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Agreed.

This film needs major help DVD-wise. A complete restoration of both picture and sound (the sound is in shambles on the current DVD and laserdisc). We need a nice new HD-downconverted 16x9 WS image from a restored print and some decent sound restoration...from what I understand the original audio stems are lost or destroyed with might make this difficult.

5. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

Saw this first run World Premiere at the Zeigfeld in New York City--and it was in MONO then!

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

From what I understand (not sure if it was for a 70 mm showing or what) a 4-channel stereo mix was prepared for it's original theatrical release as well. This mix and the stems that created it have apparently been lost or damaged beyond repair.
    [​IMG]