C555ES first thoughts...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Tillman, Dec 21, 2001.

1. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

* sorry, wrong forum *

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

First of all, this thread should be moved to the Home Theater Hardware board.

John, glad to hear you are so pleased with SACD. Do you have the Blood, Sweat & Tears CD for comparison? Just wondering. You have me intrigued by this SACD. I've passed on it many, many times, but I'll put it on the list (which is growing by the minute). I don't even have the CD.

With regards to CD playback via the analog outputs, note that if you are using the analog bypass mode on your receiver, which you should be for preservation of the analog signals, you will not get output from the subwoofer. That's how it works with most, if not all, receivers. The analog bypass mode prevents any processing by the receiver, including implementation of the receiver's crossover frequency to route information to the subwoofer. Since stereo is 2.0 by definition, you will not hear anything from the subwoofer with the analog bypass mode engaged. If you miss the subwoofer, you could, of course run a digital cable from the 'C555ES to the receiver and allow the receiver to do the D/A conversion. Then you should compare the overall sound using the analog and digital connections. Just because you have the subwoofer engaged with the receiver does not mean the digital connection is better.