C.S.I. the best show on television ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aryn Leroux, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

I for one think so. This is the best show since the x-files came out 9 years ago. Too bad its a cbs show though the likelyhood of seeing season dvd sets is probably slim to none & thats just a crying shame.

2. Tom Keels

Tom Keels Stunt Coordinator

For me it runs a close third behind Smallville and Alias.

3. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Hey Aryn,

Another one heard from the Nutmeg state!

My wife and I are huge fans too. Although, I can't figure out why crime lab people do interrogations. Is this normal? Regardless, it's a great show. Great characters (ex-stripper :b etc.), cool FX, and the panoramic views of Vegas in High Def are awesome! It's one of the few shows that I actually make time for.

Ralph

4. Kirsten

Kirsten Stunt Coordinator

This is one of my favourite television shows at the moment. I love the way they explain the science behind the investigation. It has pretty good effects to boot.
    Did anyone else notice that in the first couple of episodes Grisham (?) would send those two punk kids out to look into something and when they would come back with the answers for him, he would interrupt and tell them what it was they found out? What's up with that??? [​IMG] Nevertheless, it is a terrific television program.

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I too love this show. I also hope we see this on dvd. But, it will probably get a syndication deal. So we probably won't get it on dvd for 10 years. [​IMG]

6. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I'm sorry but no way. I mean the show is entertaining but on par with ER, TWW, and Friends? Not even close. I thought that this show was a good fit for Friday nights. I think the hype around it has gotten completely out of hand.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The only problem I have with CSI is that there's little re-watch-ability to this show. I sort of like revisiting shows, and with it being a "mystery" show, once you know how "it" happened, there's no real urgent need to revisit the show. It's perhaps a problem with its genre, but first run episodes are well-done, and I find them entertaining enough to watch on a weekly basis. But, I wouldn't consider CSI to be in my top 5 best shows on TV currently, maybe top 10 though.

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I watch CSI occaisionally, and enjoy it. But I consider other shows to be better. My current bid for "best show" is Judging Amy (and I'm surprised no one around here ever mentions it), followed very closely by West Wing. And Alias in the "most fun show" category.

9. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

TNN, which is under the same corporate umbrella as CBS, bought the syndication rights to CSI before it even started its second season, IIRC. I believe the deal also allows TNN to start airing one episode of CSI per week when CSI is in its fourth season. Once the fourth season is over, TNN can strip it (air it daily).

10. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I love this show. It's one of my top 5, along with Smallville, Alias, The Practice and The West Wing. [​IMG]

11. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    The only annoyance with the show is that it looks like a copy of the Canadian show DaVinci's Inquest but with a better staffed lab and a much bigger budget.

Aside from that, I love the show, especially the HD feed off Bell ExpressVu although my reception is downconverted to SDTV for the benefit of my 4x3 TV.

12. BobV

BobV Second Unit

Yes, CSI is a great show, not my favourite, but up there... probably just behind Alias, and The Practice, and right before The West Wing. The West Wing, IMO is not up to snuff this year, but still a very fine show.
    Oh, by the way Francois, technically CSI is a Canadian show [​IMG] . Produced by Alliance it classifies as "Canadian Content" as per CRTC regulations.

13. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Ok, as a note:
    (1) I really like CSI, and would put it in my top-ten though I think it will get better with age, some of the acting needs work..
    (2) the guffah as comparable to friends & er? Well, (IMNSHO) Friends has always been one of those shows I simply can't stand. Who keeps friends like these? If I had neighbors like them I'd move away. Friends for me is like watching someone grate their fingernails down a chalkboard for 30 minutes. I really enjoy ER, but it's been lacking in the last two seasons; somewhat like Law and Order went down a fair bit a few seasons ago.
    (3) CSI is extremely well written, and hit the right topic, which is why you are seeing other networks come up with knock offs.
    Here's hoping CSI gets a long run in the spirit of Quincy, MD [​IMG]

14. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

CSI doesn't have very good writing. Again, it's entertaining but completely transparent. With the exception of Grisham, the characters have the depth of Maggie Simpson. It's just standard Bruckheimer flash. I enjoyed Pearl Harbor. It wasn't a great film, however.

15. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

CSI looks great in HDTV!

16. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

CSI, entertaining - yes, best show - no. I think ER, NYPD Blue, Third Watch, Alias, and 24 are "better" shows. CSI storylines are interesting but not engrossing. I don't "feel" for or love/hate any of the characters on CSI like I do the other shows. CSI has very little character development, you don't know who the people are, they just solve cases and move on. To me, a good show should bring out the your emotions, whether they be joy, sadness, anger, or humor, either for the stories or for the characters. CSI doesn't quite do that. CSI is entertaining in that it gives us a look into the world of forensics, but how far can that go?

17. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    BobV, every time I hear the term "Canadian Content", I just want to...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

The forensics show I loved was Millennium,which I think blows CSI away