C# Resources

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good resource for C#. I've got a lot of C/C++ experience, and based on recent events here as well as the recommendations of some friends, I'd like to take a look at the new MS language to see what it can do. Anyone else tried working with C# yet?

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I've glanced at it as well as all of the .NET solutions. The thing I'm most interested in is ASP.NET, seems very extensible. I will probably concetrate on VB.NET and then ASP.NET. I've bought some books but have not had a chance to get to them yet...

3. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Ugh... C#... I attended a small .NET training course... the concept is actually pretty decent. Managed code, platform independence (.NET to come to Unix platforms soon), and others. However, the basic problem is that Microsoft is, once again, completely abandoning what they have already established and what is in wide use. I am referring to COM. COM is completely central to Windows, and central to about 95% of the applications you run. Alot of people (myself included) have spent alot of time learning COM, and just when programmers are starting to take full advantage of what COM has to offer, Microsoft throws it in the trash.

Thanks, Bill.

4. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

5. Curtis Koenig

The reality is that if you know Java you know C#. A good friend of mine took a Java prog then recompiled it with the C# VM and it ran right away.

6. Steven K

7. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

8. Steven K

9. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I've never really been a big fan of Java, mostly because of its lack of pointers. I'm also a little wary about the automatic garbage collection, but it probably does a more consistent job than I do of cleaning up afterwards. At least with c++ though, I know it's my fault and not the language/compiler's.

Actually, the one thing I'm both interested in and pissed off about is Windows forms-the MFC replacement. I spent a lot of time figuring out MFC, and here they decide to replace it with something better? I guess I'll have to try it and see though.

Incidentally, has anyone had problems migrating VC++ projects from VS6 to VS.net? All of my research code has been done under VC++ 6, but I want to try out C# and VS.net (gotta love the free software from the University-one of the few things MS has done right by). There shouldn't be any problems, but I just want to know if there's anything in particular I should watch out for. What about the back-compatability of the project and workspace files?

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

11. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter