C&L Internet Club- Unacceptable Return Policy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Whyte, May 30, 2001.

1. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

As great as http://www.cnl.com
    AWESOME Movie Of The Moment (Maelstrom)
    Click HERE To Download The Trailer (in french)!
    [email protected]
    I Am Jack's DVD List
    "Don't water the plants, they're plastic!" Eugene Levy, Best In Show

2. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Jason,
    I'm sorry you had a problem. I've ordered a bunch of discs from them and never had a problem with any of them. I have heard their return policy isn't very good but since I haven't a problem disc it hasn't affected me. I'd phone them up and ask to speak to someone other then Chris. Chris is the lackie employee and usually won't bend the rules at all. One of the two owners should be able to do something for you. If there's anything I can do to help let me know. I've spent over $5000 there and I'd think they'd hate to lose my buisness. I've been a very big supporter of them here on the forum and hope they will treat you right.
    M.

3. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Mark,
    Thanks for the response (and forgive my late one because of the HTF down time). I've already exchanged my disc through another source so I'm all set now.
    Since it's street date, thought I would mention it was one of the discs in the Woody Allen Collection #2 and I certainly did NOT want to send the whole set back at my expense. I worked out the costs and I could have actually bought a new copy of the disc at a store here for LESS. Plus the fact I don't want to wait 4 weeks or so for them to getting around to replacing one broken disc in a five disc box set.
    Who knows, I may take a chance on them again in the future (their shipping on arrival I REALLY like), but they really should rework their return policies. Their current one is just STUPID and should be reworked so we don't have to pay for their mistakes.
    Thanks Mark, and if I ever run into another problem with them I'll certainly be in touch.
    Jason
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    AWESOME Movie Of The Moment (Maelstrom)
    Click HERE To Download The Trailer (in french)!
    [email protected]
    I Am Jack's DVD List
    "Don't water the plants, they're plastic!" Eugene Levy, Best In Show

4. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

I cannot say that I am too impressed with C & L Internet's customer service.
    I tried to order the Kubrick Collection and Season 2 of Sex and the City. I went through the entire process, ordered everything, was going through the checkout, and was expecting a Total Price which would include tax (I live in Quebec) and shipping. All the screen said was that the above two products would be shipped to me plus taxes and shipping. Surprised at the lack of a total, I dashed off an e-mail to customer service stating that until I knew the complete cost I could not authorize this purchase. A prompt reply was sent stating that the order would be ignored and that GST (expected in Canada) was to be charged and $8 shipping. I was told that if I had read the company FAQ (who does this when ordering DVD's?) I would know this. Rude and then signed with a signature of "C&L". How friendly! The price was good so I replied stating that they could send the order. I waited for confirmation, nothing. I sent another e-mail. This was replied with "As per previous e-mail, you order was ignored.
    C&L". Well thank you!
    This was a horrible first time experience. I will stick with Total Action Universe. Reliable shipping, competitive pricing, and an excellent customer service. That is how you get my business.
    ------------------

5. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Due to a dealing I had with this past weekend I will no longer be actively promoting C&L's service.
    I like to think I'm a good customer having spent over $5000 there in the last 6-9 months but the way they treated me over this past weekend is unacceptable. I will no longer go out of my way to stickup for CNL and the bad rap it sometime gets on this forum.
    Mark.

6. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Mark, it is indeed sad that you got treated badly by C&L.
    Truthfully, I wonder how they stay in business. Their policies are bizarre, to say the least, and among those of us who have gone there personally and been confronted by the rudeness that is prevalent there...well, sufice it to say I don't go there!
    Its also sad because no Canadian online retailer really seems to want to step up tot he plate. C&L is not only rude with service, their prices are high, and S/H are even more ridiculous. A&B was never great, and with a web site that never changed, I am not surprised they are gone. Chapters is a sick joke, and it seems that the only one making a serious attempt anymore is Future Shop.ca. I still have difficulty forgiving them for the DIVX fiasco and feel they owe customers an apology for a stupid and idiotic attempt to rip us off.
    Sigh...Superstore and Walmart get most of my money now.

7. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Peter, you say no Canadian e-tailer will step up to the plate. Do you know how TotalActionUniverse.com is? I recently ordered from them because to ship to the US was the same as Canada. Got Patton for $16 but if it is going to be a hassle if it is damaged or something, I'll stick with DVDEmpire or DeepDiscountDVD.

8. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Jason, I don't have any info on that one one way or the other. If you have had good luck with them, then I would say stick with them.
    I have noticed that people from other countries have better luck with Canadian etailers than Canadians do, probably because of the exchange rates. In Canada, for Canucks, I can't find any that beat most retailers in price (Walmart, A&B Sound, Future Shop, Superstore, etc.) and then on top charge high shipping fees. C&L is guilty of idiotic pricing this way and that's why I wonder how they stay afloat.
    I'll check out the one you mention.