What's new

C:13 error? (1 Viewer)

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
I have had a Sony S360 DVD player for about 8 months to a year. Fortunatly I took the 5 year warranty when I bought it. A few weeks ago I brought it in to be cleaned because on SOME movies the disk would randomly go back to previous chapters.
After I got the player cleaned I haven't run into the jumping chapters problem, but I have these C:13 errors. Basically in the middle of (again) SOME movies the player would just stop and display on the TV and DVD player C:13. I have to eject the movie and put it back to play it again.
I am ready to just bring back the player and exchange it for a different model. Does anyone think this is/isn't the right way to go? If so what model could I get that will give me at least 1 year of care free DVD watching?
Thanks in advance.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I have the 550D and the usual response to the C:13 error is to pull out the DVD and clean it. That usually clears things up for me. And in every case, the disk had a smudge or something on it.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i have the 360D (i'm guessing it's pretty much the same thing). does the owner manual give an explanation of the error? in any case, since you bought the warranty i'd take it back.
where did you get the unit from? if it's from cc or gg, they have a no lemon policy. if the unit is repaired more than three times...on the fourth you automatically get a new one - at least that was the policy when i worked there. by now there may even be a new model out.
i do enjoy my sony and have not had any problems with it. most reviews i've read say these machines have above average performance, especially in the video.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

RichardK

Second Unit
i have the 300 model. when i see that message i just take the disc out and clean it... im used to it because i have a 2 yr who likes to put the discs in herself. gets the discs dirty of course.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
David,
The C:13 error you are getting might be different from the C:13 errors others are describing. I have gotten this error on my Sony S-300, but always right after I closed the door on the DVD, never in the middle of watching a movie. Cleaning a smudge of the DVD will always fix the C:13 error I get. If it happening on a consistent basis, I think you should take the player back to the dealer.

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
hi david, i suggest you have a look at www.audioreview.com there are a slew of people reporting the same error as you on their dvp360.fortunatly it has only happened once to mine and hasn't re-occured.good luck hwshi

Neil White

Supporting Actor
My DVP-S560 has done this almost from day one. It's worse on dual layer disks. Evidently the laser's are out of alignment. I tried a calibration via the service menu but it's only getting worse. Can't spin-up some disks, others crap-out mid-movie. Must get it serviced.
Of course, my S500 bought in Dec 98 has NEVER had a problem.
N
[Edited last by Neil White on September 18, 2001 at 10:21 AM]

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replies. I bought it from Best Buy with a 4 year warranty. I brought the player in last night and it is getting sent for repair. When I brought it in the service guy told me about the "no lemon" policy and did suggest that the laser needed to be aligned or replaced as SteveRS suggested. My last C:13 error, which the manual lists as a dirty disk error, was on a new disk that I just took the plastic off. The error does seem to happen at chapter changes.
Looks like I'm WOD (without DVD) for about 2 weeks now.>:-( And hopefully if I do have to exchange the player I can get a different model and pay the difference. Which reminds me, the Playstation 2 has been out for about a year now. Has anyone had any trouble playing DVD on it yet?
Thanks again.

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
David_N,
I bought a couple of PS2's at launch and gave one to my daughter.
She has dvd audio lip synch problems with her PS2.
I use my PS2 for gaming only and a S7700 and S9000 for dvd.
The dvd video with PS2 shows a slight screen door effect and aliasing is more pronounced on my old analog KP-53XBR45 set.
Sony might have fixed these problems with the newer PS2 driver versions, but I bet your S360 would have better performance.
You could always buy the PS2 from a dealer with a 30 day customer satisfaction guarantee to see if it meets your needs.
I agree that two weeks is too long to go without dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks