Bypassing my computer soundcard's dolby digital decoding...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Josh Q S, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Josh Q S

Josh Q S Stunt Coordinator

This is the deal:

I have my HDTV set as my computer's 2nd display device. My computer's sound card (SoundBlaster Extigy) has optical-output on it and I want to run the sound out to my 5.1 speaker setup placed around my HDTV. The problem is that the Extigy decodes the DD5.1 signal before it gets to my home theater decoder, so I only get a stereo signal [​IMG]

Is there a way I could bypass the Extigy's decoding feature, or turn it off? I haven't found any options to do that yet :/

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

If it is a digital output, then it is not decoding anything.

3. Josh Q S

That's what I thought, but I tried a 5.1 signal the other day and it only have me stereo :/ maybe I need to test some more stuff...

Thanks for the reply

4. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

Then the signal is not in 5.1 [​IMG]

5. Zacha R

Zacha R Stunt Coordinator

I have a hercules card which has the option of bypassing the decoder and sending the digital bitstream out via the optical output. If this option isn't selected, all you get are the front two channels.

The option is in the last menu tab of the Hercules options accessible via the system tray or control panel. Hopefully Creative has an option similarly located.

6. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

I believe the Extigy does have the option described by Zacha. I've got an Audigy 2 Platinum and when I first installed it long ago, I wanted to test its raw undecoded output to my receiver. I initially also had only the two front channels coming through. The Extigy is effectively (in an oversimplified sense) a portable alternative to the Audigy with fewer features but includes connectivity via USB for notebook situations for example.

I don't recall what you are supposed to do, but referring to ScottK's post, you could try:

7. Josh Q S

Great info guys! I was trying 5.1 stuff all day today with no luck [​IMG] I should be able to get something working now with your help. Thanks again!

8. Josh Q S

UPDATE:

I got the Extigy to output a 5.1 signal that my receiver successfully decoded. However, I needed to download a firmware update from www.soundblaster.com

I actually emailed creative's tech support about the issue and they replied back with the answer I was looking for within 24 hours!

Thanks again for the help!