What's new

Bypassing HP fingerprint scanner (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I had a friend who passed away recently who had an HP dv6 with the fingerprint scanner. I'm sort of the neighborhood computer geek, although a bit behind on technology. Anyhow, his family wants access to his computer. Just basic documents, photos, etc. that they'd like to save. They were literally going to take his laptop to the funeral home and scan his finger to get into the laptop. Thankfully he was cremated before that happened. I've tried to help, spent a lot of time on the phone with HP. They had me go into BIOS (not sure what that had to do with a Windows 7 password, but it was no help). Booted into safe mode with and without networking, but still brings up the fingerprint scanner screen. Does anyone have any ideas before we send it back to HP for their techs to work on it?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I was going to suggest the Dan Brown solution but that ship has sailed. Not to rub it it, I have no suggestions, but I always remind folks that "Biometrics are the only password you can't change once they have been compromised". I'd have to add your scenario as another reason not to use them....

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Stan
I had a friend who passed away recently who had an HP dv6 with the fingerprint scanner.
I'm sort of the neighborhood computer geek, although a bit behind on technology. Anyhow, his family wants access to his computer. Just basic documents, photos, etc. that they'd like to save. They were literally going to take his laptop to the funeral home and scan his finger to get into the laptop. Thankfully he was cremated before that happened.
I've tried to help, spent a lot of time on the phone with HP. They had me go into BIOS (not sure what that had to do with a Windows 7 password, but it was no help). Booted into safe mode with and without networking, but still brings up the fingerprint scanner screen.
Does anyone have any ideas before we send it back to HP for their techs to work on it?
Boot to an UBCD.
Reset Windows password to blank.
Done.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
If all they want are files off the disc, can't you simply remove the drive and attach to another computer as a secondary drive and read them? I thought the fingerprint scanner was for access to the computer itself, not encrypting the files on the disc.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I called my local "comp geek" guys and they charge $250 to get around biometrics... They had a chef a few weeks ago who had a kitchen accident and messed up the finger he used for it...(Jokes aside...) Biometrics suck.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten
I thought the fingerprint scanner was tied to the bios tho, not the OS....
Nope. HP doesn't get that sophisticated on their consumer set, it's just tied to windows login.
http://www.ubcd4win.com/
Download. Boot to it. Run the password cracker.
Cost to you: free.
IF however this is an HP Pro or Elitebook (Business class) it can be. If you get that it won't try to boot to windows. SInce he's getting to the windows login, I don't think that's the case

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info and apologize for my late response.

Legally things ended up with the guy's parents, so his house, computer, everything turned out being off limits and I wasn't allowed to try and help any longer. His parents are in their 80s and have no clue, but it's out of my hands now. I was trying to help his brother and daughter, but can't legally get involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks