What's new

Bye bye Acura... (1 Viewer)

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Well, I found out Friday morning why the Acura Integra is the number one stolen vehicle. Mine was stolen sometime between 10:30 pm Thurs and 6:00 am Friday morning. It was a 95 GSR with low mileage. I don't expect this one to be recovered unfortunately. The insurance said they have to wait 2 to 3 weeks before offering a settlement.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
that sucks :frowning:
I hate to be the pessimist, but what sucks even worse is I'm willing to be the GSR is worth more on the market than the book value the insurance co. will offer :frowning:

AjayM

Screenwriter
I hate to be the pessimist, but what sucks even worse is I'm willing to be the GSR is worth more on the market than the book value the insurance co. will offer
I had a friend (with the same car no less) argue about the value of the car successfully. He simply pulled out the asking price of about 10-20 cars for sale within the area and told the insurance company that the value of the car is higher than what they are offering and backed it up with some proof. Your insurance should be for the replacement value of the car, in other words to replace the car. If they offer you $3k less than the average selling price, then you can't really replace the car.

Andrew

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I dont know how soon you'll need a new car, but I heard that Acura may be bringin over the Accord TypeR (the accord in japan is smaller than the american version) as an acura model to replace the Integra 4 door models

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I had a friend (with the same car no less) argue about the value of the car successfully. He simply pulled out the asking price of about 10-20 cars for sale within the area and told the insurance company that the value of the car is higher than what they are offering and backed it up with some proof. Your insurance should be for the replacement value of the car, in other words to replace the car. If they offer you $3k less than the average selling price, then you can't really replace the car.
my roommate had her 200sx totalled for her by some idiot in an SUV, her insurance company offered her blue book for the car, nada too I think, KBB was a bit higher, anyway there aren't many imports up here and the car sells for a couple grand higher than book, but there are so damn few of them around I couldn't find A SINGLE example within 200 miles.

LewB

Screenwriter
I hate to be the pessimist, but what sucks even worse is I'm willing to be the GSR is worth more on the market than the book value the insurance co. will offer
Too bad the insurance companies don't pay what the car is worth to the 'chop shop' I hate to say it but there is a good chance that your pride and joy has been 'chopped' and sold piece by piece. Chopped up cars are worth MUCH more than whole ones.
Sorry to hear about your loss, the feeling of violation is the worst part.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the engine alone is worth a small mint :frowning:
not to mention all the type R stuff

AjayM

Screenwriter
I dont know how soon you'll need a new car, but I heard that Acura may be bringin over the Accord TypeR (the accord in japan is smaller than the american version) as an acura model to replace the Integra 4 door models
I wouldn't hold to much faith in this rumor.
1. The RSX is the replacement for the Integra (and replacement is still years away I would assume by typical Honda lifecycles).
http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/integra/ (yes it's still called the Integra in Japan).
2. The CL Type-S is about the closest to an Accord Type R (CL is based on the Accord).
3. The new 2003 Accord's are coming with a nice stock of engines for once.
4. The JDM Accords are basically what we get here, but obviously with different ranges of options.
http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/accord/
Andrew

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't hold to much faith in this rumor.
I have some faith. They are looking to call it the Acura TSX and sell it as a four-door version of the RSX (there isn't one currently). 2004 model, maybe.

That's a shame about your car, though. I once caught some guys in the act (unfortunately, I didn't get the opportunity to "make them pay"), trying to steal my '95 Accord EX. According to the insurance adjuster, they were pros, and they didn't look more than 17.

Todd

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
They are looking to call it the Acura TSX and sell it as a four-door version of the RSX
Thats exactly what I heard. But it will be based on the Japanese accord platform instead of the RSX/Civic platform. I would expect to see it eventually. There are a lot of upset Integra GS-R 4 door owners out there feeling high and dry.

Any way, on topic, Im also sorry about your loss. My last car was an 88 legend 4 door, and it was a great car.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
The insurance claims they use the latest NADA values for the state for the settlement they offer. I don't enjoy this waiting game because I'm 99% sure this car is torn apart as we speak. I'm going to have to find a car in a rush once the whole process goes thru. I'm looking now and have found some things but who knows if they'll still be available when the time comes.

I appreciate everyones sympathy. I'm still in that "shock" phase.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hear about your loss.

My car was once stolen from the parking lot where I work. In broad daylight, at lunchtime. I step out the door to go to lunch and there's broken glass where my car used to be. My car was a mid-80s Chevy Caprice, which is very popular among thieves not because of its value but because it is ridiculously easy to steal.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
My car was a mid-80s Chevy Caprice, which is very popular among thieves not because of its value but because it is ridiculously easy to steal.
I think some of those older chevies could easily be started without a key. I had an '85 celebrity that you could start and then pull the keys out. Great if you wanted to warm up the car with the door locked but didnt want to have to carry around a spare key. I wonder what the most stolen car per number on the road is. You always hear that accords, camrys and some of the popular trucks are the most stolen cars, but that is becuase of the huge raw number of them on the road. I bet you see a lot of Toyota Supras stolen because their so hard to find. Good condition Supras can go for more than what they were paid for new. I expect to see the theft rate of Integras go up, expecially type Rs. A lot of people arent happy with the RSX and just wanted a new, better integra.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
There are different lists which have different cars in their top 10. One of them lists my Caprice. The Camrys and Accords are at the top of almost every list.

One list that I saw explained that it counts only unrecovered stolen cars. As if cars that are stolen but later found after the thieves have abandoned them were never really stolen. Like I said, my Caprice wasn't destined for a chop shop, it was stolen because the thieves needed transportation. It was recovered three days later. The license plate had been swapped with one from another stolen car. It had 300 miles on the trip odometer. They flattened a tire, changed it for the spare (and apparently took out their anger on the side of the car with tire iron while doing so -- there were dents and scratches all along the same side), and left the original tire on the side of the road wherever it happened. Then they flattened the spare tire and had to abandon the car in an alley. Insurance considered it a total loss. I got $1200 for it and I considered it a fair settlement.

The reason why the '80s Caprice is easy to steal is because the ignition mechanism isn't shielded. The thief smashed the left side of the steering column shroud, exposing the lever mechanism behind the key cylinder. Insert a screwdriver and pull that lever and it's just like turning the key. Other cars have steel plates to cover the mechanism. Car thieves know that '80s Caprices do not.

AjayM

Screenwriter
The most stolen cars are almost always cars that are popular (Accord, Camry, etc), or cars that have lots of interchangeable parts (GM cars are a good example), these are the cars that won't ever be found, because they'll be stripped down for parts. Now cars like the Integra are stolen basically for the same reason, people want the drivetrain and interior out of the car, the car will probably be found though, just missing those two sections (at least that's how it was down here for awhile).

Andrew

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Prentice, you can rest assured that your B18C1 powerplant, your seats, your brakes, and your transmission will likely all end up in some EG 92-95 Honda Civic.
Unfortunetly, parts between 90s Civics and Integras are digustingly interchangable. People don't steal Integras to sell. They steal them for the parts. A low KM B18C1 w/ tranny is gonna fetch several grand even though it's used. It'll take somebody less than a couple of hours to strip your entire car and ship the parts all across the continent. Sadly, it's a very disgusting to trace any of this back to the initial theif. This whole pathetic "tuner" scene has spawned an unlimited demand for parts that can improve the performance of originally slow Civics.
Sorry to hear your car was stolen. :angry:
Good luck dealing with your insurance agent! :)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Prentice,

Do not be surprised if your insurance company "low-balls" the offer. I had a vehicle totaled nine years ago. The car was less than a year old with approx. 6,000 miles on it. I had a two year loan on it and they offered several thousand dollars less than what I owed on it! It took nearly two months of phone calls, faxes and a change in adjusters but I ended up getting close to what I demanded.

If you believe it is unreasonable and can offer examples of the same car (same model year, options, miles, etc.) selling for more do not give in. If the adjuster claims that is the best they can do, request to speak to their supervisor or demand that another adjuster review the situation.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I hope they don't lowball me then. They said that when the settlement is offered, then the rental car is cut-off. So, I will be forced into a situation where I will not have a car unless I am paying $25 a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks