Bye bye Acura...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Prentice Cotham, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Well, I found out Friday morning why the Acura Integra is the number one stolen vehicle. Mine was stolen sometime between 10:30 pm Thurs and 6:00 am Friday morning. It was a 95 GSR with low mileage. I don't expect this one to be recovered unfortunately. The insurance said they have to wait 2 to 3 weeks before offering a settlement.

2. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I'm sorry, Prentice. [​IMG]

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

that sucks [​IMG]
    I hate to be the pessimist, but what sucks even worse is I'm willing to be the GSR is worth more on the market than the book value the insurance co. will offer [​IMG]

4. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

5. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I dont know how soon you'll need a new car, but I heard that Acura may be bringin over the Accord TypeR (the accord in japan is smaller than the american version) as an acura model to replace the Integra 4 door models

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

7. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

the engine alone is worth a small mint [​IMG]
    not to mention all the type R stuff

9. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

10. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

11. Charles J P

CJ Paul

12. Prentice Cotham

The insurance claims they use the latest NADA values for the state for the settlement they offer. I don't enjoy this waiting game because I'm 99% sure this car is torn apart as we speak. I'm going to have to find a car in a rush once the whole process goes thru. I'm looking now and have found some things but who knows if they'll still be available when the time comes.

I appreciate everyones sympathy. I'm still in that "shock" phase.

13. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Sorry to hear about your loss.

My car was once stolen from the parking lot where I work. In broad daylight, at lunchtime. I step out the door to go to lunch and there's broken glass where my car used to be. My car was a mid-80s Chevy Caprice, which is very popular among thieves not because of its value but because it is ridiculously easy to steal.

14. Charles J P

CJ Paul

15. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

There are different lists which have different cars in their top 10. One of them lists my Caprice. The Camrys and Accords are at the top of almost every list.

One list that I saw explained that it counts only unrecovered stolen cars. As if cars that are stolen but later found after the thieves have abandoned them were never really stolen. Like I said, my Caprice wasn't destined for a chop shop, it was stolen because the thieves needed transportation. It was recovered three days later. The license plate had been swapped with one from another stolen car. It had 300 miles on the trip odometer. They flattened a tire, changed it for the spare (and apparently took out their anger on the side of the car with tire iron while doing so -- there were dents and scratches all along the same side), and left the original tire on the side of the road wherever it happened. Then they flattened the spare tire and had to abandon the car in an alley. Insurance considered it a total loss. I got $1200 for it and I considered it a fair settlement.

The reason why the '80s Caprice is easy to steal is because the ignition mechanism isn't shielded. The thief smashed the left side of the steering column shroud, exposing the lever mechanism behind the key cylinder. Insert a screwdriver and pull that lever and it's just like turning the key. Other cars have steel plates to cover the mechanism. Car thieves know that '80s Caprices do not.

16. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

The most stolen cars are almost always cars that are popular (Accord, Camry, etc), or cars that have lots of interchangeable parts (GM cars are a good example), these are the cars that won't ever be found, because they'll be stripped down for parts. Now cars like the Integra are stolen basically for the same reason, people want the drivetrain and interior out of the car, the car will probably be found though, just missing those two sections (at least that's how it was down here for awhile).

Andrew

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

oops.

18. Mark Hamilton

Mark Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

Prentice, you can rest assured that your B18C1 powerplant, your seats, your brakes, and your transmission will likely all end up in some EG 92-95 Honda Civic.
    Unfortunetly, parts between 90s Civics and Integras are digustingly interchangable. People don't steal Integras to sell. They steal them for the parts. A low KM B18C1 w/ tranny is gonna fetch several grand even though it's used. It'll take somebody less than a couple of hours to strip your entire car and ship the parts all across the continent. Sadly, it's a very disgusting to trace any of this back to the initial theif. This whole pathetic "tuner" scene has spawned an unlimited demand for parts that can improve the performance of originally slow Civics.
    Sorry to hear your car was stolen. [​IMG]
    Good luck dealing with your insurance agent! [​IMG]

19. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Prentice,

Do not be surprised if your insurance company "low-balls" the offer. I had a vehicle totaled nine years ago. The car was less than a year old with approx. 6,000 miles on it. I had a two year loan on it and they offered several thousand dollars less than what I owed on it! It took nearly two months of phone calls, faxes and a change in adjusters but I ended up getting close to what I demanded.

If you believe it is unreasonable and can offer examples of the same car (same model year, options, miles, etc.) selling for more do not give in. If the adjuster claims that is the best they can do, request to speak to their supervisor or demand that another adjuster review the situation.

20. Prentice Cotham

I hope they don't lowball me then. They said that when the settlement is offered, then the rental car is cut-off. So, I will be forced into a situation where I will not have a car unless I am paying $25 a day.