What's new

By Innovation Only, iPhone (and more!) event Sept 10 2019 (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
iOS 13 September 19
watchOS 13 (AW 3-5) September 19
iPadOS September 30
iOS 13.1 September 30
macOS Catalina October
watchOS 13 (AW 1-2) Later this Fall

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I canceled the new watch.

I spent $800 a year ago for an S4. Spend another $800 for a watch that simply stays awake?

Fiscally, doesn't make sense -- especially when I am looking to buy a top-of-the-line loaded MBP next month.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I canceled the new watch.

I spent $800 a year ago for an S4. Spend another $800 for a watch that simply stays awake?

Fiscally, doesn't make sense -- especially when I am looking to buy a top-of-the-line loaded MBP next month.
I don’t blame you for cancelling your watch order. If you were upgrading from Series 0 - 3, it would be worth it. There’s no reason to upgrade from series 4 to 5.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I am doing the same. It's a beautiful phone but the innovation is really only for photography. I still prefer taking pictures with a Sony shooter.

I just ordered the Series 5 watch, but sitting here wondering why I actually did it.

The only new feature is the "always on" which is nice, but is it worth spending the money for it?

It is 2x faster than the Series 3 watch but the Series 4 watch was supposed to be 2x faster so I am a bit confused here.
I take very few pics so the camera improvement is completely lost on me. I’m still hoping for a new SE-styled smaller form factor iPhone in the spring. I understand people use their phones as cameras more than ever but the double bump is ridiculous... the triple bump doubly so.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don’t blame you for cancelling your watch order. If you were upgrading from Series 0 - 3, it would be worth it. There’s no reason to upgrade from series 4 to 5.

Thank you for that. I need to hear it.

I was pacing around for the last hour wondering why I was paying all that money for lack of innovation.

This entire event was pretty lackluster for anyone who owned last year's line of products.

There was nothing announced hardware-wise that got me excited.

The best announcement was Apple TV+ for $4.99 a month, free for a year with hardware purchase.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I take very few pics so the camera improvement is completely lost on me. I’m still hoping for a new SE-styled smaller form factor iPhone in the spring. I understand people use their phones as cameras more than ever but the double bump is ridiculous... the triple bump doubly so.

But that design is probably there to stay for the next few generations, I am guessing.

It's like the notch...

If you want all that cool facial recognition and photography features, it still cannot be done in a subtle manner.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I missed the keynote, so if someone could give me a brief answer, that would be great.

There was only one way Apple was going to get me to upgrade to the new iPhone, and it would be by hiring this man to pitch the upgrade:

Did this happen? Otherwise I'm going to stick with my X for another year.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I missed the keynote, so if someone could give me a brief answer, that would be great.

There was only one way Apple was going to get me to upgrade to the new iPhone, and it would be by hiring this man to pitch the upgrade:

Did this happen? Otherwise I'm going to stick with my X for another year.

I think I’m with you, Carlo. I’m going to stick with my X for another year. Even if it is dinosaur tech.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I'd agree - I went from 0 to 3 and will now upgrade to 5.

Very excited about the new iPhone 11 Pro cameras, especially for video. Loved the Sean Baker movie app demo. Can't wait to upgrade!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Initial thoughts from watching announcement:
  • That was a tight two hours. Lots of good info and announcements.
  • Launching arcade with a frogger reboot was the second dumbest thing I saw tonight. And no mention of controllers. (Guess I’m not not the target audience.)
  • “See” trailer was the dumbest thing I saw tonight. Every single line of dialogue was atrocious. How did that get released?
  • Series 5 Watch. Christmas shopping for my wife is done.
  • iPad 7th gen is great. Unfortunately for me I’m thinking of going pro and they didn’t announce anything.
  • iPhone 11 looks good. $699 ($100 cheaper than my 8+ two years ago! $50 cheaper than XR!) Low light mode. Dual camera. Improved front facing camera. Faster guts. This looks like a substantial upgrade from my 8+.
  • “Slofies”. That delightfully silly video sold me. I’m in.
  • Pro: If I were Hollywood filmmaker, I’d buy three. I’m not sure what the sales pitch is for me, the consumer. Will see what my wife thinks about the three cameras. She’s a point and shoot enthusiast and is getting into Instagram. But still, I like the toys :)
  • Branding and naming is no longer stupid. Product lineup and pricing makes sense again.
  • VR / AR not mentioned!
  • Amazing new machine learning software coming this year will enable iPhone Pro to take mediocre snapshots of dudes in ugly sweaters. Something necessary was wrongly cut from this segment. No idea what they were touting here.

Last edited:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Pro: If I were Hollywood filmmaker, I’d buy three.
Seriously. If you saw either Steven Soderbergh's "High Flying Bird" (shot on an iPhone 8) or Sean Baker's "Tangerine" (shot on an iPhone 5S(!!) in glorious cinemascope) you can only imagine the high quality of the iPhone 11 Pro's video + new software.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks