What's new

By Innovation Only, iPhone (and more!) event Sept 10 2019 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
43CAE09C-4192-4C30-96B9-6250A089745C.png
Clinton here’s the message I get when I turn off that feature.

Looks to me like it’s going to delete photos and video off of my phone.

Hopefully this time I made the image small enough Dave.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
@Sam Posten may be more of an authority on what will happen if you turn it off because I honestly don’t know. I’ve had mine turned on since backing up to iCloud became a thing. When I hit the 5GB max, I ponied up $4 /mo or whatever it is for 300GB which will take me an eternity to fill up. If it wasn’t for my wife taking thousands of pics, we would be fine with the free 5GB.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Clint that’s the thing.
The 50 isn’t nearly enough for me and I’m not ponying up the $3 a month.

Then what happens if I decide to stop paying or by an android.
What happens to all those pics I’ve uploaded into their iCloud.

I’ve been loading everything up to our Amazon prime photo app but they won’t let you load videos without paying extra.

At some point I’ll have to get everything onto a hard drive I suppose.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Then what happens if I decide to stop paying or by an android.
What happens to all those pics I’ve uploaded into their iCloud.

I believe that you would need to move the photos that you wanted to save from iCloud to a local hard drive, while you still had iCloud service.

This is similar to what happens if you stop renting a physical storage unit. If you care about the possessions that you stored there, you remove them before the final rental period ends.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That alert says it’s going to delete the low resolution images (placeholders). It doesn’t say it’s deleting the full size originals.

My understanding is that if your photos sync to your Mac, whether through iPhone syncing or iCloud syncing, you won’t lose anything by disabling iCloud. It may be on your Mac (or Amazon storage) and not on your phone.

Even without iCloud Photos on, using Photo Stream for auto sync and backup from mobile to desktop is recommended and works well.

I got along with the 5GB for about six years. Then I upgraded to 50 GB, and everything got so much easier. Then family plans came out and I got the 200GB for $3/mo which is much better price than two individual 50 GB plans.

If Amazon does the job for you, that’s good — you’ve got a system.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I believe that you would need to move the photos that you wanted to save from iCloud to a local hard drive, while you still had iCloud service.

This is similar to what happens if you stop renting a physical storage unit. If you care about the possessions that you stored there, you remove them before the final rental period ends.

Yeah I sad that in the part of my post you didn’t quote.

Since I’m already paying for Amazon Prime I don’t see the need to ay again for Apple ICloud photos.

Guess I’ll just turn that off and see what happens.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I found Apple has a standard trade in system for everything now. Don’t recall if this is new or not. Think it’s a rebranding of their recycling program.

Regardless, my iPad 9.7” 6th gen is worth $140. Not bad for now obsoleted $329 device.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Amazon is taking $50 off Apple Series 5 watches.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XQYCKC...b02d80bc7894e0b5f1fb2eebbd4b35&language=en_US

With the $240 I can get for my old one, I went ahead and preordered through Amazon.

So...yeah...I bought a watch!

However, I may change my mind if they don't get it to me by Friday. Amazon posts that it releases on the 20th but they can't give me a firm date on delivery.
As the song goes, “you got it bad, and that ain’t good.” :P You realize of course, that there are some among us who envy your freedom to make these choices.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Amazon is taking $50 off Apple Series 5 watches.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XQYCKC...b02d80bc7894e0b5f1fb2eebbd4b35&language=en_US

With the $240 I can get for my old one, I went ahead and preordered through Amazon.

So...yeah...I bought a watch!

However, I may change my mind if they don't get it to me by Friday. Amazon posts that it releases on the 20th but they can't give me a firm date on delivery.
Ron, the first step is admitting you have a problem. "Hi. My name is Ron, and I'm a Technoholic". ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is there an advantage to me pre-ordering my phone from Apple to be picked up at my local Apple store on 9-20?

In other words, if I go through that process does it make an appointment for me to go to the store at a specific time to go through the purchase...or do I have to stand in line with the jillion other people who want a new phone that day?

I've looked at the pre-order process. It looks like they want to charge me for the phone right away, but I can't find the answer to that particular question.

Oh. It also is asking me if I want them to contact my carrier (AT&T) now durig the process. I guess it shaves some time off the in-store experience?

Sorry to be so dumb about this, but I've never done this before. Thanks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike,

Unless I am missing something -- and bear with me as I just woke up and am sipping my first taste of coffee -- I don't see the advantage.

In fact, a huge disadvantage going to the Apple Store. That is the last place you want to be on launch day.

The store is going to be a madhouse.

Why not just have it delivered to your door via UPS/Fedex?

Now the only advantage I see is if stock is readily available via pickup rather than delivery.

And, if you want your device first thing in the morning, you can do what I do...show up at UPS distribution center (if it is near you) early in the morning to pick it up there personally. You will have to instruct them online to hold your package.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, the first step is admitting you have a problem. "Hi. My name is Ron, and I'm a Technoholic". ;)

I do. I know.

The big problem is that Apple products hold their value. I had a significant trade-in offer on the watch (double what Apple is offering) and the $50 discount Amazon is offering pushed me over the edge.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Unless I am missing something -- and bear with me as I just woke up and am sipping my first taste of coffee -- I don't see the advantage.

In fact, a huge disadvantage going to the Apple Store. That is the last place you want to be on launch day.

The store is going to be a madhouse.

Why not just have it delivered to your door via UPS/Fedex?

Now the only advantage I see is if stock is readily available via pickup rather than delivery.

And, if you want your device first thing in the morning, you can do what I do...show up at UPS distribution center (if it is near you) early in the morning to pick it up there personally. You will have to instruct them online to hold your package.

Oh. I see. That's amazing.

How does the surrender of my old iPhone get taken care of?

And, the new phone comes ready-to-go? Do I have to switch the SIM card myself?

You see, Ron--having never done this before--I figured if I had the phone delivered to me, I would have to still make a trip to either the Apple store or AT&T as part of the process.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike,

I am hoping others chime in here to help me with this in case I get something wrong.

If you order via online...

The first question you will be asked when you add your new phone to the cart is whether you want to trade in an old one. There is a drop-down box of every model Apple has made and you can get an instant quote by clicking on the correct phone you wish to trade-in.

Then you select your new phone. The price shown for the new phone will be minus your trade-in.

Best bet is for you to lock in your new phone with your carrier. That will be the next step. You could go sim-free/unlocked but most likely if you do, you will have to visit your carrier's store to get a new one. By locking in your phone with your carrier it will not only come with the SIM card but Apple will automatically have it set up with your carrier.

Trading in your old phone...

Soon after delivery of your new phone (and perhaps on the same day) Apple will send you a box with return label to return your old phone. Be sure to turn the FIND YOUR PHONE function off in General Settings. Also, remove iCloud from your phone as well. You can then do a complete reset from General Settings.

Hopefully someone else will look these instructions over to make certain I did not make a mistake or miss anything.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike,

Be aware, at this point, chances are slim you will get the phone you want on launch day if you order online.

When you add your phone to your cart, at the bottom it will show you a date. September 20 is optimal.

I don't even know if you can get a phone on launch day at the Apple Store. There will be a lot of people there clamoring for the limited supply.

Keep us up-to-date on what you have done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks