1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

By Innovation Only, iPhone (and more!) event Sept 10 2019

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Johnny Angell, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Josh and Dave: Many thanks. Lots to chew on there.

Like the guy who runs his car into the ground, I run my iPhones until basically forced to buy a new one. I could keep my 6 going for a longer while, but the fact that it won't be able to download the new iOS upgrade in a few days has me worried about its short term viability. Even though it's still running pretty well, I envision apps starting to get clunky as they do not have the latest iOSs to accompany them.

I don't fear what others think about my decision. I have always been budget-minded about my tech--especially my HT. And I've been open about that. I consider myself VERY lucky to have a 55" Panasonic Plasma, a decent Denon receiver, an Oppo 203 and an SVS sub. Thank goodness those kids finally grew up and got out of the house! :D

The XR will do me fine. I guess the only points still bugging me about the 11 is if the extra $100 (which is not a big consideration) gets me that much more camera (because, yes, I take pix of the family, dogs and grandkids all day long!) and if it's worth getting a phone that's a full year younger than the XR.

I appreciate you all helping me refine my decision (I sometimes overthink these things). I guess I'll need to get off the dime sooner rather than later.

Leaning to the XR...but the wider selfies sure would be great when I try to get me, Peg and both dogs in the shot! :laugh:

[​IMG]

Sam Posten, Neil Middlemiss and DaveF like this.
  2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I have a tendency to overthink my purchases as well - I just think over the years it’s just changed which side I overthink on.

In the 2000s, pre-recession, I was always concerned about getting the very best thing. It didn’t matter whether I had a pressing need for all the functions. My future was limitless and I didn’t want to be caught short on tech that could one day be useful. So it didn’t matter that I wasn’t an editor at the time; I thought there was a chance that at some point I might be, so I got the fancier MacBook Pro in case I ever went that route. Same thinking with the iPhone: back then I thought I might one day use it for something important so better to spend now on the best one so I’d be ready if the need ever arose.

Flash forward a decade and my thinking has changed. I’m no longer as worried about future proofing myself. I’m concerned more about what I need today and maybe tomorrow. The lowest entry models of phones and computers are so much more powerful than they were a decade ago that anything I buy could probably handle any unforeseen future need. And I have years of experience proving that when I buy things just to future proof myself, I almost never take advantage of those extra capabilities.

Again I don’t know how helpful that is for advice. If you’re someone who usually buys a phone or piece of equipment for a specific purpose and never use it beyond that, maybe the oldest cheaper model makes the most sense. If you’re someone who occasionally plays around with a new toy and eventually learns new features, maybe the newer one isn’t a bad idea.

I think the big point here is that between the two options you’re considering, there isn’t a bad choice. It’s not like the old days where if you guessed your needs wrong, you were stuck with a bad choice for a long time.

Clinton McClure and Mike Frezon like this.
  3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

And the doggie portrait mode could actually be very useful...professionally and personally!

The pendulum is starting to swing towards the 11! :rolling-smiley:

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  4. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

There's another feature that the 11 and 11 Pro have: Night Mode.

This is for low-light shots. The phone will take multiple shots using both the Wide and Ultra Wide cameras and combine them. I don't know how well it works (and it probably depends on your subjects staying fairly still), but if it does, that might be a plus for the 11 over the XR.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

What makes upgrading rather easy for me is that Apple products retain their value.

I buy a new laptop and iPhone yearly because I can trade them in and get a sizeable credit towards a new product.

I live my life for myself. I don't have any dependents.

I spend my money on a small amount of travel and a huge amount of tech.

The three most important things I use on a daily basis are my television, my computer, and my phone.

As long as I can afford to have the best of those three worlds, that is where I am going to spend my hard-earned cash.

This new iPhone is mostly boring. However, with the trade-in value of my current X and the low payments of the upgrade program that allows me to get into a new phone every year.

I kept going back to the Apple site numerous times yesterday. I finally decided it would probably be worth a shot upgrading.

By the way, if Mike Frezon is reading this far down...

Love the photo of you, your wife, and your dog. Always great to see photos of you and I appreciate how much you and your wife are dog lovers like me.

Mike Frezon likes this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Ron,

You don't have to explain your decision to us as I was just kidding you.

DaveF likes this.
  7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    (laugh)

I know!

But there's truth to what you said. You know me as do most everyone in this thread.

I am very open about myself and the crazy tech decisions I make.

My process of thinking is very evident. I start out denying I want the product and I slowly talk myself into it.

DaveF likes this.
  8. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I do that too! :D

What really surprises me about iPhones is that I got over the upgrade bug. I upgraded my iPod a bunch of times and was way into the early phones. I don’t know when or why but it’s like a switch flipped and now it’s like “what I’ve got is good enough.” Having that feeling about tech is weird to me. I’m not used to not being as into being cutting edge. Not sure how that happened. But I can’t imagine not having some version of an iPhone - I’m totally sold on the device overall.

DavidJ likes this.
  9. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    @Ronald Epstein I loved your “I don’t know what’s wrong with me.” Enjoy the new phone. I’m still on the fence, but would like to fall off (in favor of a new phone).

DaveF likes this.
  10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Mike, I don't want to tell you what phone to buy because I worry that I'm really telling you what phone *I'd* buy and not really informing your decision. :)

But I see that snapshot, and I'm thinking that's why I'd buying the iPhone 11 over the XR: For the camera. To have the biggest improvement in photo options for the next several years until I upgrade again.

I've only used Portrait mode once with my cat, it turns out. But it looks like you might get more use from it.
    IMG_2647.

And for me, the Selfie has become the essential vacation photo. My wife is into landscapes and scenery. So I make sure there are pictures of us on vacation. (us this Spring in Seattle in the Space Needle) :)
    IMG_2025.

This is why when we're really ready to upgrade, be it 2019 or 2020, we may be hard pressed to stay on budget and not go to the fancy camera model. We're not "pro" users, but we use the camera daily for things big and small.

DavidJ and Sam Posten like this.
  11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    And I'm happy to hear about the new gadgets from you, on your annual upgrades. :) We've all got our hobbies. It's fun to hear about new toys other folks get.

It's also entertaining to watch people go through the inner struggle of deciding to buy what we all suspected they were going to buy anyway. :D

12. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    I wonder if Apple is still using the weird texture smoothing for selfies with the new phones. My wife bought a Xs Max last year and hates the selfie camera (or its software processing to be more precise). She’s to the point where she wants to trade me for my 7+ because its selfie camera/processing is vastly superior than the Xs/Xs Max.

13. Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

That was removed in iOS 12.1

Sam Posten and DaveF like this.
  14. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    I must have missed the memo. I thought it was still doing it. She’s on 12.4.1 and still complains about it. I don’t take selfies so it’s background noise to me. :laugh:

Cranston37 likes this.
  15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Aw...thanks, Ron! I always smile whenever I see your avatar with your pups!

And, I get a kick out of reading your posts whenever these threads come up. I think we can ALL appreciate the internal angst you go through of wanting to do the "responsible" thing and hold out...but that then the feeling of deciding to upgrade comes over you and we get the "what's the matter with me?" post. I think its great!

Ron: Can you believe it's been eight years now since we met during that visit together in Ossining? Man, how times flies!

Very thoughtful, Dave. And I'm now pretty settled on the 11 for that very reason. Peg has even signed off her WAF on it! :D

I take pictures of the dogs ALL THE TIME along with selfies, grandkids, etc. I currently have 7000 photos sitting on my phone (plus 150 videos). I have to weed out my pix all the time during the backup process. I have off-loaded every cell picture I've ever taken onto a couple different external HDDs. My 64GB capacity is being challenged and one of the reasons I am happy to upgrade to a larger size.

Here are a handful of shots which I took on my 6 (just within the past month or so):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many of those shots could have benefited from the low-light, wider lens and portrait functions.

And why do I think that was directed at me as much as it was directed at Ron! :laugh:

DavidJ and DaveF like this.
  16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I *urge* you to immediately go to your Apple iCloud account and upgrade to the 50GB plan for $0.99/mo (or even the 200 GB for $2.99/mo). Friends do not let friends have photos only on their iPhone!!!

Then you can turn on iCloud Photos and never fuss with backing up and freeing and juggling storage and all that time-wasting nonsense. :)

I know the arguments. Yes, Apple can afford to give away more storage for free. They don't. Let it go. Pay the $12 a year -- that's like a single bag of dog treats -- and make sure your and your wife's photos aren't lost because of an accident phone drop onto the sidewalk!

My mom was complaining about her iPhone always being out of storage and always yelling at her every time she took photos of her granddaughters. And my dad was sick of hearing her complain about it. Last year, when they visited, and she mentioned it, I asked to borrow her phone and said I could fix it. I took her iPhone and signed her up for the $0.99/mo iCloud plan. My dad said that if he'd realized all that annoyance and complaining and stress could have been fixed for a buck a month, he'd have done it a year ago!

If the shoe fits... :D

17. Message #237 of 277 Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2019
    TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    8537CBC7-7AEB-4AD1-B454-1DA9A90705D7.
    To follow up to that.
    I’ll never pay Apple to have that.
    What I want to do is stop my phone from telling me I’ve run out of iCloud space.
    How do I turn off that “feature”?

Every time I open photos.

18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    ^ You can cut off your nose to spite your face. But everything is better for $1/mo. (I'm not arguing what should be, but saying what is.)

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    @TonyD I took the liberty (as Mod) to Spoiler your screenshot, solely because the forum shows screenshots of Retina displays show up as full resolution and are big-honking images -- taller than full screen height on my 27" iMac. Unless they're embedded as "thumbnails" in the forum post initially.

TonyD likes this.
  20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I don't think iCloud storage would work for me, Dave.

I keep the iCloud setting turned off. I'm fine with regular phone backups onto my laptop. And each time I do a back-up, I go into the phone's storage and directly copy the images onto my laptop. I then just copy those images onto the two 2TB external HDDs. I've been doing this for years. (I've also got a Carbonite service for Peg's laptop because of her work documents.)

As far as the images on the phone, I simply "favorite" those images I want to keep on my phone, And then after I do my full back-ups (as described above), I use an app called "Deletr" which deletes every image from my phone that's not favorited. I LOVE that app!

This probably all sounds cumbersome and time-wasting to you. But I don't mind it. It also plays into helping me keep things organized and aware of what I have.

DaveF likes this.