1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

By Innovation Only, iPhone (and more!) event Sept 10 2019

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Johnny Angell, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Apple describes the 11 as having a "Liquid Retina HD LCD Display" and the 11 Pro as having a "Super Retina XDR OLED Display". They claim that the Pro's ability to control light on a per-pixel basis contributes to better HDR performance.

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

But back to me...! :laugh:

I've been giving this a lot of thought. Based on Thomas' breakdown (which I feel stupid about since all the info was right out there for me to find on my own--if I wasn't so hesitant), I have been weighing a LOT whether to get trade in my 6 for an XR (for $589) or for an 11 (for $689).

As Thomas explained, the features between the two aren't HUGE. I planned on the XR and know I would be happy with one. But since I'm a guy who treats his phone well and will likely end up using the new phone until support ends (like in this instance), would it be smarter for me to get the 11 and be buying an extra year's service with this purchase (for the extra $100)?

What do you guys think?

[And I know this is akin to asking others if they think buying/leasing a new car is best or if you should buy a new one every couple years or buy a new one and run it into the ground, etc. And there are so many variables and personal finances and likes/dislikes that come into play... But I figure someone might come up with an angle I'm not thinking of. Thx,]

3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I don’t have any of the specific phones you’re choosing between, so I can’t give you a techhead breakdown of what to do and why.

What I can say is that I kept my iPhone 5 for a long, long time, and was really stumped about what to replace it with when it was time. I ended up going with the SE, which they no longer offer, which wasn’t brand new tech but was so much newer than my 5 that I felt like I was getting a big improvement. And I also saved substantially over the newer models. My point being, I got the cheapest product that suited my needs and put aside any concerns about it not being the flagship model. And it wound up being the right choice for me. It does what I need it to do and it didn’t break the bank. It may not do every little thing the newest phone does, but it does every little thing that I need it to do.

Mike Frezon likes this.
  4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Store is late

5. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    If I get a phone I want the big Pro. My old eyes enjoy bigger screens. But I think it will depend on the deal I get from a carrier. That seems the best way to go, to me. If anyone has other thoughts, I’m open to ideas.

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Really shocked.

Nearly 90 minutes later there are plenty of phones to be delivered by the 20th.

Never seen that before

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yes of course. But that was not the question. The question was "what does the 11 have over the X?". And they are making a big deal about the display improvements, having FALD over straight backlit.

8. Thomas Newton

Apple is making a big deal … over the iPhone 11 Pro OLED screens. Then you go over to the page for the regular iPhone 11, and aside from a token "makes everything look amazing", it's crickets. So I'm missing the part where I am supposed to conclude that the regular iPhone 11 has a better screen than the iPhone XR.

The iPhone X line followed a similar pattern, where the more expensive models got OLED ("Super Retina") screens, while the XR got a more traditional LCD ("Liquid Retina") one.

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I take it that the XS and the 11 Pro have the same OLDED screen?

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Just bought the new iPhone 11 Pro Max (512GB Space Grey) on the upgrade plan. Delivery next week, on the release date.

I don't know what's wrong with me

11. Thomas Newton

The 11 Pro screen has a contrast ratio of 2,000,000:1 and 800 nits max brightness (1200 nits for viewing high dynamic range content). The XS screen has a contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1 and 625 nits max brightness. So there have been some upgrades.

Sam Posten likes this.
  12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

The next upgrade for me will contain a no-notch screen. But I hope everyone who has preordered enjoys their new phones, the night/low light photo ability looks tremendous!

Sam Posten likes this.
  13. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    You may be right, the only change is in the backlight. I swore they called something out in the keynote.

The iPhone 11 succeeds the iPhone XR, and it features a 6.1-inch LCD display that Apple calls a "Liquid Retina HD Display." It features a 1792 x 828 resolution at 326ppi, a 1400:1 contrast ratio, 625 nits max brightness, True Tone support for adjusting the white balance to the ambient lighting, and wide color support for true-to-life colors.

XR:
    • Liquid Retina HD display
    • 6.1-inch (diagonal) all-screen LCD Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
    • 1792-by-828-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
    • 1400:1 contrast ratio (typical)
    • True Tone display
    • Wide color display (P3)
    • 625 nits max brightness (typical)

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    What’s important to you?

How’s your budget comfort at $600 vs $700?

How much do you value battery life? Does an extra hour matter to you or do you end your day with 70% battery remaining?

How about photos? Are you constantly snapping shots of your wife or dogs or grandkids? Do you take landscape or cityscape shots on vacations? Are you into selfies? Or are camera lenses dead weight to you?

Are you mostly happy with your six year old phone? Or are you hungering for the latest tech?

Maybe those questions will help you think through which model to buy. :)

Mike Frezon likes this.
  15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Look forward to hearing about it! :)

I might live vicariously through you. Struggling to prioritize all the tech I want to upgrade in the next 12 months! :D

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    @Mike Frezon

Also this:

“Rene Ritchie on Twitter: "Never let anyone, certainly not the internet, shame you about your technology choices. If you get something cheaper to save money or you get the most expensive, you’re still every bit as nerdy and savvy. No one else knows your business or gets to judge your choices. Do you."”

https://twitter.com/reneritchie/status/1172556423064109056?s=12

Mike Frezon and Josh Steinberg like this.
  17. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    You have my deepest sympathies. There’s no known cure for your malady except a yearly iPhone upgrade. Actually, it’s not a cure, just a treatment for the symptoms.

BTW, I recall reading (in another thread, I think) about how boring these phones were going to me, but now the fever has struck. :eek:

DavidJ likes this.
  18. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
  19. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I had a feeling you couldn't resist doing so.:)

DaveF likes this.