BW HT - This is what i got...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FelixJose, Jul 16, 2002.

1. FelixJose

FelixJose Auditioning

After much thought and investigation I ended up with the following Home Theater setup"

BW 804 2 in the front
    BW 805 surround
    HTM2 Center Channel
    Velodyne 12" Sub
    Yamaha RX-V3200 Reciever (720Wtts)

The HTM2 fits vey perfectly in my wall unit so i couldnt go larger for the HTM1. I went with the 804 because i also love to listen to music and they were just outstanding! I have to say that now I'm regreting a few things after reading some posts on this forum. 1) I feel that the 805 in the rear are a bit to much to be used as surround. 2) i should have gone for the ""HTM 1 center speaker since i went with the 804's. and 3) how necessary was a sub?

I havent recieved my speakers yet, but I cant wait! this is a huge upgrade for me since my current speakers are sony towers from '94. I know the BW will blow me away, its just with so much money invested into it, i dont want to regret anything.

anybody wanna give their 2 cents on this?

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Looks great but you may want to rethink your sub choice. Which velo series are you looking at?

3. FelixJose

FelixJose Auditioning

well you see i dont know too much about Sub's but this is the HGS12 Velodyne. My cousine with a BW 805 all the ways around set-up recomended it to me. He said it was important that it had a servo for HT control. But to be honest im not too familiar with Subwoofers for HT.

could you tell the diff. between the 805 surrounds and using other surrounds maybe 6 series or a solid series from BW>>>????

4. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Felix, congrats!!!

I am going to get the 804s and HTM2 as well, and use my 601s in the rear, your comment about the 805s is an interesting one, If I could afford them, that would be my suggestion (which you obviously can).

I have spoken to many people regarding the HTM1 vs HTM2 issue, and the 1 is a better speaker, my main issue was space, I only have a 27" TV, and it would look stupid sitting on it, and i have a small room. The next TV I get is going to be a 40" at most, so it still may look a little funny. Having just owned the CDMCNT, I can tell you the 2 is still a GREAT speaker designed for people with my problems (lack of space, etc....)

I am not familiar with the receiver and sub, so I can't comment on those.

GOOD LUCK

5. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

i think that using the 805's as rears is a crime. These speakers are too articulate to just be used as effects speakers. But, hey, if you can do it, why the hell not. Kind of like a dog.[​IMG]
    As for the sub, you should really look into another brand. I think that velodyne has really gone down hill in the last three years. I have heard four of their subs, from their mid range lines to their high end lines, and I found the bass to be sloppy and boomy. If you are going to committ more than $700 to a sub, look into one from SVS, powered or cylinder, or the HSU vtf3, which I think is the best sub dollar for dollar on the market(even though I own, and love, an SVS CS20-39 ISD).

6. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Felix,
    Congratulations on an incredible set-up. The HTM-1 is a great speaker, as is the HTM-2. The HTM-2 is an identical match to the 805s, you will appreciate it's performance. This forum is addictive and informative...just because the HTM-1 is the top of the line center channel monitor in the Nautilus series does not mean it's the best option for all Nautilus owners. Take what opinions and views you read on HTF with a grain of salt. Your gear is VERY, VERY good. You spent a pretty penny on your speakers, I'm sure your B&W dealer will be more than happy to trade you up into an HTM-1 if you deem in necessary.
    "well you see i dont know too much about Sub's but this is the HGS12 Velodyne."
    That is an INCREDIBLE sub, don't let anyone tell you differently. This in not an opinion, it's a fact. There are other options on the market, but your cousin knows what he's talking about for great performance.
    "...could you tell the diff. between the 805 surrounds and using other surrounds maybe 6 series or a solid series from BW>>>????"
    Yes you can tell the difference. The speakers you decided to go with are the best monitors B&W makes. They are a sweet choice for surrounds, IMO. You should strongly consider trying out one or both of the high resolution, multi channel music formats now available. SACD and DVD-A is where those 805s are going to show their glory, compared to the 600 or CDM series speakers. You got the best, now enjoy, my friend[​IMG]
    Congratulations,
    Jeremy

7. Jeremy Hegna

Chung,
    I'm sorry you feel the way you do about Velodyne subs. Your opinion is very different than anyone I know that has taken the time to check them out. Maybe you heard them in a bad room, bad amp, bad calibration, etc.
    The HGS series subs have certainly not gone downhill, rather they have achieved one hell of a unit with these subs. I am an SVS fan myself, however, they don't work for everyone. For those in need of a smaller profile, good looking cabinet, with high-end performance....my first recommendations would be REL and VEL[​IMG]
    Jeremy

8. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Well, I was comparing the Velodyne to an SVS and a HSU, which are two of the best subs around. I have not heard the latest versin oof the HGS series, but I take your word for it. As for REL, their subs are simply amazing, even though you have to pay twice as much as compared to the SVS or HSU. I would go as far as to compare the HSU to the REL Stadium, it is that good. As for Velodynes, I guess we can all have our own opinion, but I have just not liked their models very much, even though I tried to.
    (BTW, I listened to two models of Velo and the HSU in the same room)

9. FelixJose

FelixJose Auditioning

Thank you all for your replies. I will update with a review once i get it all set-up.

-Ihave another question...I plan on really never upgrading speakers (mabe the HTM@ for the HTM 1 in the future) but i feel i will out grow my receiver quickly. What do you guys recommend. and how much power should i use to really milk the B&W for what they worth.

Im also not too familiar with other components i should use to compliment my receiver.

10. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Congratulations! I am in upgrade mode. I just ordered and Anthem AVM-20 and am going to buy N804's for mains. I have NHTM-2 now and will trade it in for the HTM1. My dealer is giving my 100% trade-in for the HTM (and my HTM-2 is a year old).

On the N805's as surrounds: If you had no intention towards multichannel music, then I would say IMO that it is overkill and a 601S3 would have been good and cheap (put the difference towards the center). I think of all speakers (in HT) the center is the most important. I think you will love the HTM-2 but, if you feel you could do better, trade it. But try it for a couple of months (breakin) first.

As far as power to the N804's GOBS! I am buying Rotel amps RMB-1095 (5x200) for center, sides, and surrounds. I am getting RB-1090 (380wattsx2). I have read countless reviews claiming the lack of bass for the N804's. I have read countless reviews saying that it is because they are under fed. Lots of power and good quality too. The RB-1090 can be had for $1700 (the RMB-1095 about the same, maybe less). I personally want a full range speaker when listening to 2-channel (w/o sub) so give them plenty of high current power to bring out the bottom freqs.

I am not too much of a sub guy. I have a sonosub (not the best construction) for now but will shortly be buying an SVS to knock the house down for movies.

Hope that helps.

Marc

11. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Well considering the amount of money he will be spending on the HGS, I don't consider it a contender with other subs out there that cost less, spacifically the VTF3, SVS PCi or PC+ now, and Adire Dharman.

12. Jeremy Hegna

"-Ihave another question...I plan on really never upgrading speakers (mabe the HTM@ for the HTM 1 in the future) but i feel i will out grow my receiver quickly. What do you guys recommend. and how much power should i use to really milk the B&W for what they worth."

Good, I'm glad you realise your weak link is driving this combination with a receiver.

The options that Marc mentioned are great choices from Rotel. In fact, I use the 1090 for my mains. There are other manufacturers; Parasound, B&K, Acurus, and others in this price range. I would suggest 200 clean 8ohm watts for the front three, and 150 for the surrounds. Of course, the next level in amplification is better. You will go up in price by about 150-200%...Classe, Pass, Mcintosh, Krell, and others. All determined by your budget, of course.

If you get an opportunity, check out audioreview.com

There is some bad information, due to crappy moderation, but there is some valuable stuff as well. Find out what others are using to power the speakers you have and the results they have achieved.

Jeremy

13. Brian Vaughan

Brian Vaughan Stunt Coordinator

Felix, Congrats as well on your new setup! I have the exact same one (save for SCM1s, which are just flattened 805s, in the rear for space issues). I think the difference between the B&Ws and your current speakers will blow you away. As for power, I don't think that you need a whole hell of a lot, just quality. I had been using a B&K 7250 amp (200 watts/channel) to power all five speakers. While it sounded good and had more than enough power, I wanted a separate 2-channel amp for the 804s to improve music listening. I decided to go with the PS Audio HCA-2 digital hybrid amp (150 watts/channel) and I couldn't be happier. It sounds absolutely incredible with the 804s and I've never lacked for power. If you're looking to upgrade your amplification piece by piece you might want to take a look at it.

Cheers, Brian

14. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

15. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

On power to the mains, I have been talking to a guy who powered his N804s (as an experiment) with a big crown amp. He said the bass was not there with his Krell 150 but with the $800 crown at 300watts (I think, more?) the bass came shinning through. As he said, with similar specs to the big Krells but at 1/10th the price.

Sound quality suffered a little. Highs lost a little detail, mids a bit muddy in his opinion. Definatly shows that gobs of power will bring out the bass.

Marc

16. Gregg Z

Gregg Z Stunt Coordinator

Hi Felix,

You'll be very happy with your speaker choices (I've got a 805/HTM2/SCM1/CCM65 7.1 setup), but eventually you'll want to get away from a receiver to separates to really get those speakers to shine. Depending on your budget, I'd recommend considering a Rotel 1095, a Classe CAV180, or a Bryston 9B amp when the time comes.

One subtle but distinct thing you will come to notice about your B&W set up is how clear dialog sounds. You will never wonder "whud they just say?" with this setup. Its the first thing I notice whenever I listen to someone else's system.

And lastly, the Velo is a good choice, but if your sub is still up for consideration, you really owe it to yourself to audition a REL Strata III or Storm III with this setup. The adjustablity of the REL's really allows you to dial them right in to seamlessly integrate with your B&Ws and the room. In fact, it is for just this reason I prefer the 805 over the bigger B&Ws. By de-coupling the bass from the mid/hi, I can better tune to the room. Note: this is, in my opinion, a more flexible approach, not a less expensive approach.

17. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

If $$$ is a concern, why not use 601s for the rears instead of 805s, use the savings to apply for a future purchase of separates or at least two-channel amplification for the 804 mains.

When I purchased my Nautilus 804s, I knew I would have to also purchase quality power (Classe) to go with them.

18. FelixJose

FelixJose Auditioning

I have another question, it my DVD player:
    I think i should upgrade because im really frustrated with the widesceen options:

I have a Sony DVD Player. An Explorer that holds 200 CD/DVD M#: DVP CX850D

I'm having problems setting to 4:3 to 16:9 or even the smaller Widescreen. Why dont I have this option? I press Display, but this screen option does not apear.

Also what is the difference between the three different settings 2 widescreen and 1 regular TV?

Thankyou :

19. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Congratulations, you have picked out some excellent speakers. If you're as happy with these as I have been with my 600s then you are in for a long and musical relationship.
    Some have said that if you're not listening to multichannel music then the 805s are a bit of overkill in the rear. I agree but only to an extent. I had 302s as rears for my 602 mains for a little under a year. They sounded good and seemed to match well with the fronts. When I updated them to 601S2 to match my 602 main L-C-R speakers I was very happy with the upgrade. Now of course we´re talking about different speakers, but it´s nice to have a set of speakers that really match the fronts if you can afford it.
    Also, if you have any interest in multichannel music in the DTS, DVD-A, or SACD formats you are really going to be in for a treat with those rears. 601s would be jarring in this task.
    But of all the advice here, the most important IMO is: