1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release BVHE Press Release: The Little Mermaid 30th Anniversary Signature Collection (4k UHD) (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Message #1 of 7 Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    81S-SkOEuOL._SX522_.

BURBANK, Calif. (Jan. 11, 2019) — In honor of its 30th anniversary, two-time Academy Award®-winner (Best Original Score and Best Original Song “Under the Sea,” 1989) “The Little Mermaid,” dives into the highly celebrated Walt Disney Signature Collection with all-new bonus features and a sing-along mode. The magical, musical tale of mermaid princess Ariel — along with loveable sidekicks Sebastian and Flounder, and the love-to-hate sea witch Ursula — is shore to make a splash with all generations when it comes home for the first time Digitally in HD, 4K Ultra HD™ and Movies Anywhere on Feb. 12, and on 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray™ on Feb. 26.

The Signature Edition of “The Little Mermaid” showcases its award-winning musical score and iconic songs such as “Under the Sea” and “Part of Your World” with a sing-along mode allowing you to accompany this beloved cast of characters on their journey. Never-before-seen bonus features bring legendary composer Alan Menken and some of Disney’s most recognizable leading ladies together around a piano to reminisce, sing and celebrate “The Little Mermaid.” The latest installment of “Stories from Walt’s Office” compares Walt and Ariel’s love of collecting treasures. Viewers will also receive an inside look at the “The Little Mermaid” cast in their original recording sessions, explore hidden treasures and fun facts from the film, and enjoy a special performance of “Part of Your World” by a cappella singing sensation DCapella. Plus, fans will have access to hours of additional classic bonus features!

Based on Hans Christian Andersen’s classic fairy tale about a beautiful mermaid princess who dreams of becoming human, “The Little Mermaid” was directed by John Musker and Ron Clements (“Aladdin”). It features the voice talents of Jodi Benson (“Toy Story 2,” “Toy Story 3”) as Ariel, Pat Carroll (“Laverne & Shirley”) as Ursula, Samuel E. Wright (Broadway’s “The Lion King”) as Sebastian, Christopher Daniel Barnes (“The Brady Bunch Movie”) as Eric, Kenneth Mars (“Young Frankenstein”) as Triton, Buddy Hackett (“The Music Man”) as Scuttle, Jason Marin (“Back to the Future”) as Flounder and René Auberjonois (“The Patriot”) as Chef Louis. The film was originally released in theaters on Nov. 15, 1989 and is the 28th film from Walt Disney Animation Studios, and the first in what many described as a new Disney animation renaissance.

“The Little Mermaid” is the seventh title to join the Walt Disney Signature Collection, which includes groundbreaking films created or inspired by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney, featuring timeless stories and characters that have touched generations. The film takes its place alongside “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Pinocchio,” “Bambi,” “The Lion King” and “Lady and the Tramp.”

ALL-NEW BONUS FEATURES: *

BLU-RAY & DIGITAL
    • Sing-Along Mode – Sing along to the movie in this sing-along version of the film.
    • Alan Menken & the Leading Ladies Song – From the voice of a mermaid to the tunes of a muse, the music of Alan Menken has scored the soundtrack for some of Disney’s most iconic leading ladies. Join Alan, Jodi Benson (Ariel), Paige O’Hara (Belle), Judy Kuhn (Pocahontas Singing Voice), Lillias White (Calliope) and Donna Murphy (Mother Gothel) as we celebrate the music of their films in honor of the one that started it all … “The Little Mermaid.” In this discussion, the ladies will share their memories of musically creating their characters with Alan, discuss what it means to be part of the Disney Princess/leading lady legacy and create new memories as they sing with Alan around a baby grand piano.
    • “What I Want From You…Is YOUR VOICE” – Enter the recording studio and get an inside look at the cast of “The Little Mermaid” in their original recording sessions.
    • Stories From Walt’s Office – Gadgets & Gizmos – Like Ariel, Walt Disney was a collector of many different things from miniatures to early mechanical characters that inspired the invention of audio-animatronics. We take a look at some the collections that Walt kept in his office in the third episode of this series.
    • #TreasuresUntold – Join Ruby Rose Turner and Olivia Sanabia from the Disney Channel Original Series “Coop and Cami Ask the World” as they take a deep dive to explore some hidden treasures and fun facts about Disney’s “The Little Mermaid.”
    • DCapella “Part of Your World” Music Video
    • Classic Bonus Features – revisit four exciting bonus features from previous releases including:
      • Deleted Character: Harold The Merman
      • Under The Scene: The Art Of Live Action Reference
      • Howard’s Lecture
      • Audio Commentary With Ron Clements, John Musker and Alan Menken
    DIGITAL EXCLUSIVES
    • “Part of Your World” - A 30-Year Retrospective – Songwriter Alan Menken and Jodi Benson, the acting and singing voice of Ariel, sing the epitome of Disney “I Want” songs “Part of Your World” and discuss its impact since it was first heard 30 years ago.
    • Classic Bonus Features – Over 3 additional hours of previously released classic bonus features including Deleted Scenes, Easter Eggs, Music Videos and more!
    *Bonus features may vary by retailer

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:
    Product SKUs: Ultimate Collector’s Edition (4K UHD+Blu-ray+Digital Code); Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray+DVD+Digital Code), Digital UHD/HD/SD, DVD and On-Demand

Feature Run Time: Approximately 83 minutes
    Rating: G in U.S. and Canada
    Aspect Ratio: 16x9 1.78

Audio:
    4K UHD BD: English Dolby Atmos, Latin Spanish, & French-Canadian 5.1 Dolby Digital
    Blu-ray: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, Latin Spanish and French-Canadian 5.1 Dolby Digital
    DVD: English, Latin Spanish, and French-Canadian 5.1 Dolby Digital
    4K UHD Digital: English Dolby Atmos (some platforms), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital
    HD Digital: English 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus (some platforms), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital

Languages/Subtitles:
    4K UHD BD Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish & French
    BD Subtitles: English SDH & ESL, Spanish & French
    DVD Subtitles: English SDH & ESL, Spanish & French
    Digital Subtitles: English SDH, French Canadian, Latin Spanish
    Digital & DVD Captions: English

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

holtge likes this.
  2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Still waiting for 4k preorder to appear on Amazon. I will update the press release once it arrives, that is, unless it becomes a brick and mortar exclusive.

3. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    It's not. Target and Best Buy arr listing it on their websites. However, due to the ongoing issue between Amazon and Disney, I'm not holding my breath for Amazon to be reliable in terms of stocking it (or the regular Blu-ray release.)

Because this is one of my favorite films of all time, I'll double dip on this for the new bonus features. That Alan Menken featurette sounds especially interesting to me. But the fact that the majority of the bonus material from the previous releases will now be digital copy-exclusive continues a bad precedent, and means I will also keep my Diamond Edition version, as I retained the Platinum before that, to keep all of the things that weren't ported over.

The Part of Your World featurette with Jodi Benson and Alan Menken should also really be on the disc.

This is one of the very few cases where I care enough that I might go for the 4K+Blu edition for future-proofing purposes, rather than get another useless DVD with the Blu double dip.

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Featurettes have a history of not being very good and not rewatchable. I’ll stick with what I’ve got. And the bonus features will vary by retailer. Yechh!

5. Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr Second Unit

Craig Ehr
    Jake Lipson likes this.
  6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    That is a gorgeous-looking steelbook and far superior to the general release.

holtge and Craig_Ehr like this.
  7. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Just take my money. I won't be waiting for a price drop on the 4k. It's The Little Mermaid...

holtge and Jake Lipson like this.