Press Release BVHE Press Release: The Lion King Signature Collection (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 16, 2017.

1. 1 Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

“The Lion King” Roars to Its Rightful Place in the Walt Disney Signature Collection

on Digital Aug. 15 and on Blu-ray™ Aug. 29

unnamed.png

Two Ways to Experience the Movie! Plus New Bonus Including Never-Before-Seen Recording Sessions, Song Selections and More!

BURBANK, Calif. (July 16 2017) — It was announced today at D23 Expo that in August, one of the biggest animated films in history—“The Lion King”—joins the highly celebrated Walt Disney Signature Collection. The coming-of-age masterpiece, filled with humor and heart, breathtaking animation and soul-stirring Academy Award®–winning music (1994: Best Original Score and Best Original Song, “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”), arrives on Digital on Aug. 15 and on Blu-ray and DVD on Aug. 29.

Audiences will fall in love all over again with the treasured classic, and a new generation of fans will laugh with Timon and Pumbaa, cry with Simba and Mufasa, burst into song, and find their place in the “Circle of Life.” The Walt Disney Signature Collection release includes over three hours of classic bonus material and exclusive, brand new features inviting viewers to sing along with the film’s award-winning music, observe recording sessions, step inside the story room, witness the evolution of a villain, and join Nathan Lane (voice of Timon) and Matthew Broderick (voice of Adult Simba) for an extended conversation regarding the legacy of “The Lion King.”

“The Lion King” follows the adventures of Simba, a feisty lion cub who cannot wait to be king, as he searches for his destiny in the great “Circle of Life.” The film earned a Golden Globe® for Best Motion Picture—Comedy or Musical and inspired a Tony Award®-winning Broadway musical that is currently the third longest-running musical in Broadway history. In 2019, a reimagined live-action film, helmed by Jon Favreau, will delight audiences with the thrilling retelling of the original tale utilizing groundbreaking technological advances—as only Disney can do.

“The Lion King” is the fifth title to join the Walt Disney Signature Collection, which includes groundbreaking films created or inspired by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney, featuring timeless stories and characters that have touched generations. It takes its place alongside “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Pinocchio” and “Bambi.”

Bonus Features:

BLU-RAY, DIGITAL*:

· Brand New Sing-Along Version

· Audio Commentary – View the film with commentary by producer Don Hahn and co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff.

· Visualizing a Villain – Against a backdrop of live dancers and the animated “Be Prepared” sequence, artist David Garibaldi paints a masterpiece of evil.

· The Recording Sessions – Watch rare footage of the actors recording their roles, matched with the final animation. Intro by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff.

· Nathan and Matthew: The Extended Lion King Conversation – Nathan Lane (Timon) and Matthew Broderick (Adult Simba) offer candid and hilarious insights into their Lion King experiences.

· Inside the Story Room – Co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff present archival footage of five original story pitches.

o Circle of Life – See how color creates emotion and meaning in the film's iconic opening.

o Simba & Nala – See how elements proposed in story meetings evolve into what appears onscreen.

o Simba Takes Nala Out to Play – …And, sometimes what seems funny in story meetings never makes it into the film!

o Hakuna Matata – Co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff sing, act and dance their hearts out as they pitch the "Hakuna Matata" sequence.

o Rafiki and Reflecting Pool – Co-directors Roger Allers & Rob Minkoff pitch a sequence that became the emotional heart of The Lion King to Producer Don Hahn.

· Music & More – Sing along to your favorite songs from the movie!

o “Circle of Life”

o “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King”

o “Be Prepared”

o “Hakuna Matata”

o “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”

· Galleries

o Visual Development – Explore a gallery of striking artwork that inspired the movie's look and feel.

o Character Design – Trace the development of the film's unforgettable characters through early concept art drawings.

o Storyboards – Examine storyboards created in the development of “The Lion King.”

o Layouts – Feast your eyes on layouts created in the development of “The Lion King.”

o Backgrounds & Layouts – Journey through a gallery of landscape paintings that shaped the world of “The Lion King.”

· Classic Bonus Features (Digital Only) – These offerings from prior home entertainment releases include hours of bonus material, such as bloopers, audio commentary, deleted and alternate scenes, and in-depth journeys into the music, film, story, animals and stage show.

*Bonus features may vary by retailer

DISC SPECIFICATIONS:

Product SKUs: Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Copy), Digital HD/SD, DVD

Feature Run Time: Approximately 89 minutes

Rating: G in U.S. and Canada

Aspect Ratio: Blu-ray Feature Film = 1080p High Definition / 1.78:1

DVD Feature Film = 1.78:1

Audio: Blu-ray = English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks

DVD = English, Spanish, and French 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks

Subtitles: English ESL, English SDH, French & Spanish

SOCIAL MEDIA:

Facebook: Facebook.com/DisneyTheLionKing

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  2. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Guess it was a given we wouldn't get the 3D version.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  3. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

Since BatB Signature didn't get a 3D I guess it was expected that TLK wouldn't either.
    The only 2 vault titles that have had 3D releases now have been spoken for

4. richardburton84

Jack
    I honestly don't care about the 3-D version, but that blurb about there being two versions of the film made it sound like they were bringing back the IMAX version (not that I really care for "Morning Report") rather than a sing-along version probably no one needs.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  5. Mike2001

Mike2001 Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    Good of Walt to sign off on this, one of his biggest movies.

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Now Available for Preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

7. Tom Bergeron

Tom Bergeron Auditioning

tom
    [​IMG]

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I won't buy this title again until they release it on 4K/UHD disc. The 10-04-11 3-D & 2-D BD Release will have to due until then.

Tino, SAhmed and B-ROLL like this.
  9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Supporting Actor

Does the appearance of this title on Amazon suggest that the Disney-Amazon feud is coming to an end? Guardians Vol. 2 isn't up there yet, and it comes out a week earlier.

I'm keeping both my original Blu-ray from 2011 (and I've still got the DVD from 2003 as well) for the supplements that will not be carried over to this version. However, this is one of my all-time favorite films, so I might be tempted to double dip for the new extras. Typically I have not been doing that with the Signature re-releases, but the new movies that I grew up with as a kid, like this one, might be more tempting than Snow White or Bambi.

I said that last year when they announced Beauty and the Beast again and haven't wound up with that disc yet, but we'll see.

It does seem odd that, coming a week after Disney starts supporting 4K, they wouldn't do this title that way. I'm not at a point where I need 4K right now, but as one of the biggest legacy titles in their library, releasing a title like this would make a big statement about their support for the new format.

10. 10 Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

No. Bambi was up for a couple weeks before their supply sold out. BatB and Guardians basically get nearly none though I thought
    I saw Guardians up briefly last week sometime though I could easily be mixing releases

If The Lion King stays up for preorder through release day I'll believe they've settled, but obviously Amazon must have some legal say over a certain small number of at least some items then Disney won't give them anymore. This has led to some frustrating delivery issues with some people with preordered items being delayed by weeks.

11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Whaddya expect for $40? Your money's worth? ;)

12. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    I'm not sure there's a point waiting for 4K on this one. Its a digitally animated movie from 1993. They weren't rendering in 4k in the first place.

13. Jake Lipson

That Best Buy steelbook looks awful. Aren't steelbooks supposed to look NICER than regular covers?

Johnny Angell likes this.
  14. Jake Lipson

...And it's down. Figures.

David Norman likes this.
  15. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

But not unexpected at all. If it was settled then Guardians and Pirates would have gone live too -- esp the former.
    I guess we'll see if it comes and goes into stock over the next 6 weeks, but my guess is that it may be gone at Amazon until sometime after release. Most often they've returned sometime on Tuesday at least briefly before going dead indefinitely -- at least hope it goes live long enough to PM the release prices. I'm really waiting for the first item that stays full price until Wed or Thursday and everybody is charged full price since the Pre-order price guarantee won't apply after Wednesday 12:00:01am PT

Jake Lipson likes this.
  16. Jake Lipson

I'm not going to worry about what it is or isn't. The dragging on of this mess just means I'll get this (and Guardians) from another non-Amazon source.

I didn't pre-order yesterday expecting that this wasn't settled, and now we know it's not.

Amazon will not get my business on any new Disney releases until we have solid evidence that this is totally done, although dragging on this long is simply ridiculous.

And why would anyone actually keep the pre-order at full price? Typically if the price on any of my orders, Disney or not, has not come down to an acceptable level, I will cancel it a day or so before it is scheduled to ship.

17. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

Because many people just set and forget figuring Amazon will match whichever competitor near release -- $1-2 here or there they're not going worry about anyway, but once (if) a $40 item pops down instead of 19.99/22.99/24.99 then I imagine it won't be as pretty.

BestBuy or DMC will almost always get my business for Disney's since either I'm going to pick out one of the BBY Exclusives or I'll use it as the trigger item for a DMC 50-60% off other item order.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  18. deepscan

deepscan Stunt Coordinator

Jo
    I can guarantee you once the new version is out, expect those 3D imports to jump in price at second hand/auction sites (eBay, etc.) . Good thing I managed to get the 3D region free import some months ago.

19. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

I'm not sure why they'd jump in price. The UK items aren't going anywhere as far as I know though i guess if folks want to spend $30 to buy something they can easily get for $15 I guess you can't stop them

I haven't really noticed any change in the Beauty and the Beast Import 3D's and to jump in price there really has to be some demand. 1000 people fighting over 10000+ copies doesn't seem to be an incentive to scalp prices