What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: The French Dispatch (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
“A LOVELY VALENTINE TO THE ADVENTUROUS EDITORS OF SOPHISTICATED LITERARY MAGAZINES, BURSTING AT THE SEAMS WITH HAND-CRAFTED VISUAL DELIGHTS. AUDIENCES WILL MARVEL AT ITS RICHLY IMAGINED WORLD.”

– David Rooney, The Hollywood Reporter

image002.jpg

Wes Anderson’s The French Dispatch Releases on Digital December 14

and Blu-ray™ and DVD on December 28

LOS ANGELES, CA (November 9, 2021) – Academy Award® nominee* and visionary filmmaker Wes Anderson presents his 10th film, The French Dispatch. An homage to literary journalism, French culture and classic cinema the film is praised by critics and audiences alike for its exquisite visuals, captivating performances and unique artistry. Add The French Dispatch to your collection on Digital December 14and on Blu-ray and DVD December 28.

* Best Picture Nominee for The Grand Budapest Hotel in 2014

Film Synopsis

Wes Anderson’s The French Dispatch brings to life a collection of stories from the final issue of an American magazine published in the fictional 20th-century French city of Ennui-sur-Blasé. With an all-star cast that includes Benicio Del Toro, Adrien Brody, Tilda Swinton, Léa Seydoux, Frances McDormand, Timothée Chalamet, Lyna Khoudri, Jeffrey Wright, Mathieu Amalric, Stephen Park, Bill Murray and Owen Wilson, this vibrant film is a funny, moving celebration of journalism.

Cast

Benicio Del Toro
as Moses Rosenthaler

Adrien Brody as Julian Cadazio

Tilda Swinton
as J.K.L. Berensen

Léa Seydoux as Simone

Frances McDormand as Lucina Krementz

Timothée Chalamet as Zeffirelli

Lyna Khoudri as Juliette

Jeffrey Wright
as Roebuck Wright

Mathieu Amalric as The Comissaire

Stephen Park as Nescaffier (as Stephen Park)

Bill Murray as Arthur Howitzer, Jr.

Owen Wilson
as Herbsaint Sazerac

Christoph Waltz as Paul Duval

Edward Norton as The Chauffeur

Jason Schwartzman
as Hermès Jones

Anjelica Huston as Narrator (voice)

Directed by

Wes Anderson

Produced by

Wes Anderson

Steven Rales

Jeremy Dawson

Executive Producers

Roman Coppola

Henning Molfenter

Christoph Fisser

and Charlie Woebcken

Screenplay by

Wes Anderson

Story by

Wes Anderson

& Roman Coppola

& Hugo Guinness

& Jason Schwartzman

Music by

Alexandre Desplat

Product Specifications

Street Date

Digital: December 14

Physical: December 28

Product SKUs

Digital: 4K SDR, HD, SD

Physical: Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray + Digital Code) & DVD

Feature Run Time

Approx. 108 minutes

Rating

U.S. Rated R

*Rated R for graphic nudity, some sexual references and language.

Aspect Ratio

Digital: 1.85:1

Physical: 1.85:1

U.S. Audio

Blu-ray: English 5.1 DTS-HDMA, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, English AD 2.0 Dolby Digital

DVD: English 5.1 Dolby, French 5.1 Dolby, English AD 2.0 Dolby

Digital: English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)

U.S. Subtitles

Blu-ray: English SDH, Spanish, French

DVD: English SDH, Spanish, French

Digital: English SDH, French, Spanish (some platforms)

Social Media

Twitter:
@TheFrenchDispatch

Facebook: @TheFrenchDispatch

Instagram: @TheFrenchDispatch

#TheFrenchDispatch

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
...but Disney now owns Fox. Is Disney going to license their titles to Criterion?
Anderson's previous Isle of Dogs was scheduled for release by Fox but the release date was after Disney took them over. There is no Criterion release of it. I would love for there to be one but I think it is unlikely.

Does anyone know when The Grand Budapest Hotel Criterion came out? If it was released after Disney took possession of Fox, then the license would have had to come from Disney.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Grand Budapest came out April of last year. And to be fair Disney owns three Andersons that Criterion has put out outright.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I might be wrong but I assume that Anderson gets a Criterion release put in his contract with the studio because I can't imagine that licensing modern movies from major studios would have been financially possible for Criterion any other way. However, whether that is still something that he can ask for under Fox's new ownership remains to be seen.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I might be wrong but I assume that Anderson gets a Criterion release put in his contract with the studio because I can't imagine that licensing modern movies from major studios would have been financially possible for Criterion any other way. However, whether that is still something that he can ask for under Fox's new ownership remains to be seen.

If Disney can make money from a deal with Criterion and Wes they'll easily take it.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
It took 6 years for The Grand Budapest Hotel. It has only been 4 years since Fox released Isle of Dogs, so that is still a couple years off, so it wouldn't shock me if Criterion ends up doing the a UHD for Isle sometime in the next 2 years and a UHD for this in 5 or 6 years.

Rumor is that he does have it in his contract.

This year Criterion has released three Fox owned Wes Anderson titles in the UK. (I think they've released about 6 Fox titles total in the UK this year.) So it seems the Mouse is still willing to deal with them.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It took 6 years for The Grand Budapest Hotel. It has only been 4 years since Fox released Isle of Dogs, so that is still a couple years off, so it wouldn't shock me if Criterion ends up doing the a UHD for Isle sometime in the next 2 years and a UHD for this in 5 or 6 years.
The Digital Bits is projecting that a Criterion release of The French Dispatch will be next year which doesn't make any sense when you look at nearly all the other Anderson/Criterion discs. I'm hoping for Isle Of Dogs next year but like you said, I wouldn't be surprised if it was longer than that.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I've just seen The French Dispatch at my local multiplex. It is fabulously rich - top-tier Wes Anderson. All this hand-wringing about waiting for the Criterion disc is subservient to the fact that this film absolutely needs a 4K UHD disc. The fine grain visible on the numerous and gorgeously photographed black and white segments, will not be visible on a blu-ray. Also, the colours will be muted, compared to the DCP. I rewatched The Grand Budapest Hotel (Criterion's blu-ray) a couple of days ago and I kept thinking throughout the movie, that the blu-ray - although highly praised - simply cannot render Wes Anderson's astoundingly exquisite colour palette, the way a UHD or cinema DCP can. Now that Criterion has finally dipped their tootsies into the UHD pool, what about a UHD of The French Dispatch, s'il vous plait?

Derrick King

Screenwriter
The Digital Bits is projecting that a Criterion release of The French Dispatch will be next year which doesn't make any sense when you look at nearly all the other Anderson/Criterion discs. I'm hoping for Isle Of Dogs next year but like you said, I wouldn't be surprised if it was longer than that.
Yeah, seems too soon. Since Anderson is already shooting his next film, I suspect he will be too busy to work on the special features for The French Dispatch. If I'm remembering correctly one of the things that held up The Grand Budapest Hotel was that Anderson was too busy working on his next film.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I'm a huge Wes fan, but this was like-it-not-love-it territory for me, sort of like Darjeeling Limited was. Whereas I've purchased the initial studio blu rays for titles like Grand Budapest Hotel and Isle of Dogs, I'll be holding off in hopes that it will be a Criterion 4K release at some point, as it's not as big of a priority for me.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I'm a huge Wes fan, but this was like-it-not-love-it territory for me, sort of like Darjeeling Limited was. Whereas I've purchased the initial studio blu rays for titles like Grand Budapest Hotel and Isle of Dogs, I'll be holding off in hopes that it will be a Criterion 4K release at some point, as it's not as big of a priority for me.
Ah - but it has HUGE rewachability! Are you really going to sit and wait for years and years and years, hoping for a Criterion release? I was holding out for Isle Of Dogs but the only sure way to get Criterion to release their own version, is to purchase the Fox disc. Then, I'm positive Criterion will announce their imminent release!

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I bought the initial release of Isle of Dogs.

I would buy a Criterion release of that in a second. But I feel like having the original release in my collection has been valuable because I've been able to watch and enjoy it without having to wait.

If Criterion does put out a version eventually, I'd also be able to pass along the previous edition to a friend. I have some friends who don't care as much as I do about bonus features and the like and they have gladly inherited a few of my old discs when new editions came out. Just because a better one becomes available doesn't have to mean the end of life for the original edition. Knowing I can give the movie to a friend at the same time as getting myself the additional bonus content has helped me to justify the cost of the double dip.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
If Criterion does put out a version eventually, I'd also be able to pass along the previous edition to a friend. I have some friends who don't care as much as I do about bonus features and the like and they have gladly inherited a few of my old discs when new editions came out. Just because a better one becomes available doesn't have to mean the end of life for the original edition. Knowing I can give the movie to a friend at the same time as getting myself the additional bonus content has helped me to justify the cost of the double dip.
I've replaced at least 10-15% of my blu-rays in my 6000 disc library, due to new blu-ray remasters and UHDs being released. The remasters are increasing, now that it is becoming painfully obvious how poor many of the old blu-rays look on modern equipment. But also recently released blu-rays and even the odd 4K UHD are getting remastered! I have sent almost all of my old discs to a friend, who I also donated my first Oppo to. There is absolutely no way of knowing whether discs will be upgraded or remastered in the future, so there is no point for me in sitting around waiting for years. I just sent off the 2011 Guns Of Navarone blu ray, as well as the 2016 Warner Citizen Kane box set, The Piano region B StudioCanal remaster and Criterion Mulholland Dr. blu ray. My friend thinks Christmas comes six times a year!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks